how to put a lien on a property?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Perfect Image TLM, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

Where do I go to place lien on property for non payment? The courthouse in their town?

Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

yup, that's what I hear anyway. But why don't you just take them to small claims court? It's basically free and you'll probably win if you have all documentation and dates and stuff.

3. Perfect Image TLM

Well my concern is the property is gonna change hands soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

oh well that's a good idea then. Go to your courthouse and ask them if they don't they will have the information on how to do it.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

every state is different. in Florida I had to go to t he property recording office and record the lien on the deed there. and then I took them to small claims with the lien already filed. to file the lien was only a few bucks...

6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

You mighty have to ask a lawyer or yeah go to the court house and see what info they can give you.

7. Perfect Image TLM

Let me ask this. I didn't have a contract, they wanted to see my work before we did one, my bad I know. Do I still have a case even?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. MarcSmith

http://www.sos.mo.gov/ucc/generalInfo.asp

set up an account and you can do it online...

are they just not paying, ignoring you, what kind of details, how much, how long ago what kind of work......with no contract, its going to be harder. As a paper trail helps. any email correspondence saying do the work. ect... the folks at the lien depart could care less, they just push paper, and they assume that people know what they are doing when the file liens.

Verbal contract are still binding, but it comes down to he said, she said... and any paperwork bolsters your case if you need to go to Small Claims..

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  9. Perfect Image TLM

Wow thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. MarcSmith

pretty amazing what google can do for you...