How To Question for an Excel Guru

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Critical Care, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I do all of my billing on Excel and have a spreadsheet format that I use for keeping track of everything that is done at a client’s place, how long each job took, what chemicals and how much was used, and so forth. It automatically calculates the monthly rate plus materials used and at the end of the month I give this information to the client – sort of proof of services rendered. This information also automatically generates an invoice sheet. The whole idea is that I want to supply the client with detailed information (no problem) and also generate an invoice, but with little or no additional data entry.

But… the problem has been with creating an invoice number and an automatic invoice timestamp that doesn’t change (non-volatile) with the computer clock. There’s a function that puts a date on the invoice, but it’s volatile and changes all the time – that’s obviously no good. And I can create a random number for the invoice, but there’s no rhyme or reason to that method.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

quickbooks, quickbooks, quickbooks.

or

gopher, gopher, gopher.

Try getting a software program that is made for the service industry. Excel, although very powerful and I use in my business, is not geared for this type of service work (IMO).

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I hear ya. I do use QB Pro for all of my accounting, however the invoicing appeared - at least to me - to be more labor intensive than what I could come up with on Excel.

I'll look at QB invoicing again. Maybe I'm just not seeing things straight.

4. mjensen

mjensen LawnSite Member

Critical you could do this in excel but you would need to understand creating macros. This is the only way I could see entering time stamps. I currently us QB myself just because it is easier to keep everything in one program vs going back and forth with multiple applications. I just downloaded Gopher and it looks very easy to use. they give you a 30 free drial for any version. Check it out.