How to reclaim woods path

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by thomasz, Jun 27, 2008.

1. thomasz

thomasz LawnSite Member
    from nj

I want to reclaim some property the woods has taken over the years What I want to do is clean up a path around my garden that sits on the end of the property the path is there with all dead leaves blown away about 6 ft wide by about 50 ft long in a half circle around the veggies, I dont want to use chemicals because of the garden and I would like to get some grass going this year and I want to put down about 4 inches of topsoil to level out but I want to kill weeds under. Would it work if I were to weed wack the weeds down to the ground and lay black plastic on for a couple of weeks then remove plastic and lay topsoil and plant grass seed? I really dont want these large weeds creeping thru so I would like to kill them Tilling is not possible because of all the granite I have here. Any info appreciated thanks:confused::confused::confused:
  2. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Your topsoil will probably have weed seed in it also. If you cannot mechanically remove the existing weeds whole, then using a brushcutter is preferable than a weedeater because it would not throw the plant material and/or seed, as it's so close to the garden. Add about an inch or so less than what you need of topsoil and solarize. After that period bring in some cured compost to the prescribed depth you need and turn into the topsoil.