1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to register Trade Name

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by J&R, Jan 17, 2004.

1. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

how do i go about doing this.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Could you be a bit more specific?
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

How to i Reg my Lawn service Name were no one can copy it.
  4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I see you're in Georgia. Here's a link to the Georgia Secretary of State's web page showing you how to become a corporate entity (e.g. an Inc., L.L.C., etc.).

I'm in NC, so I'm not sure how it works in GA, exactly, but it looks very similar to here. Should be very simple and inexpensive for you to do. I think mine was $225.00. Looks you'll be able to download the forms you need & you can call the Secty's office for help if you need it.

When you're on the Secretary's site, perform their search on the name you want to use & you will see if it's already taken. This is exactly what that office should do before they issue you an Inc. or L.L.C. Once you're registered, the name is yours & if someone else turns up using it you can give them the reason why they have to change.

Also..........one tip I can give you is to take the paper work you get from the Secretary's office, then go down to your local Register of Deeds office and enter your corporate entity name on their books there, too. Just a simple, easy precaution you can take to help prevent name copying.