How to remove Henbit from Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by burkcs, Mar 11, 2008.

1. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Archie, I'm using a quart of Simazine, 67 oz Aquacap (2 # a.i.), 1.5 quarts 2,4-D ester and 6 oz of a product called Generation (surfactant)....and it takes care of any poa.

brandtconsolidated.com click on parkway research to get your contact info. I think there is a new rep that covers Mississippi and Alabama. Good luck!

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about the growing zone in Hawaii, but there is never a time (except an oddball spotspray) when I would mix Simazine and MSMA. In the South, they are just not needed at the same time, for the most part. Spraying MSMA in the fall, winter, and spring, when the Simazine is being applied, is a waste of time.

3. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

SSGuy Thanks for the information. Do quit using the 2,4-D Ester after it gets 70 degrees? The one quart of Simazine per acre is knocking out the poa. We have seen a sh*t load of poa in the last 7-10 days down here. Also, I have been using Top Surf (surfactant) from Pro Source. Who sales Generation? I am paying about $8.50 gallon for Top Surf. One last question, on my 2nd round we add a sprayable fertilizer. Do you put fert in your 2nd round if not, will your mix here be ok to add a fert?

Thanks for your input!

Archie

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Simazine acts like a synergist for the MSMA on weeds such as smutgrass, dallisgrass and goosegrass. Bermuda tolerates this mix much better than Sencor and this is what can be done on zoysia. I rather not stock Acclaim and Turflon for use in zoysia because those two herbicides must never be used on any other grass grown in Hawaii. There is no growing season here in Hawaii. The weather is like late spring from January to April and it is summer from May to December. There is no fall or winter here.

5. southernsprayguy

Where in Bama are you? Yes switch to 2,4-D Amine when temps get above and stay above 70 degrees. Generation is sold by Brandt. It's a lot more expensive per gallon but your rates are a lot lower 4-6 oz per 100 gallon of spray solution. I'm not on my round 2 app yet. Yes I use almost all liquid fert depending on the situation. Iron, Urea, and liquid Nitroform. See ya!

6. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I am in the Mobile area. I have always used 2,4-D Amine. I have heard some horror stories on Ester being so volatile. I am going to get in touch with Brandt this week. I have been checking on my fert for round 3 and it is anywhere from $15-$22 a bag down here. How about your area?

Thanks for all your input. There are not many of us on here from the south, so it is always good to share info with someone from your area.

7. southernsprayguy

You said you were buying from Prosource..right? Is Bruce Brackin down there still. As far south as you are, I would stick with the Amine or use Speedzone Southern in the winter and switch to Trimec Southern in the summer. Do you ever compete against Southern Turf Care, Kutters, Landscape Workshop, or Get a Grip? I know one of the last indepently owned TGCL is in Mobile.

8. sandra0655

sandra0655 LawnSite Member

I am in northern Mississippi. I am looking to control Henbit before it takes me over again this winter. I have a good base of bermuda grass. Am I correct and understanding that Simazine in the Fall will do the trick?
    Say November??

9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You can apply a preemerge now like prodiamine or pendimethalin. If you wait until early winter, use simazine and a 3-way type herbicide or metsulfuron.