How to remove Ivy groundcover - HELP with estimate please.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Tyler7692, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi. I have a customer that has about a 3 foot wide "bed" of regular groundcover Ivy in front of her house. The whole bed is about 35-40 feet long. She wants it removed and NOT to come back. What's the best way to do this?

I was thinking I would rotortill the bed (I have a large 7.5 hp rotortiller) and use a garden rake to remove all of the choppings of ivy.

#1 - How long should this job take?

#2- What should I charge?

#3- Is this the best, most efficient way to do this? Any ideas

#4- Will this pretty much guarantee the ivy won't start regrowing?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

that won't work. Find a licensed company that does pesticides. This has to be sprayed, then sprayed again a few weeks later, and perhaps maybe even sprayed again Removing ivy is not an overnight decision and job. The only other way to insure that is is removed, is to excavate out about " of the soil (a foot deep).
    If not, then I can about guarantee that you will have ivy return.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some of it will come back.....but take the mower in and mow it down to the ground. Rake it up and then take a sharpened straight edge shovel and get up the runners and debris on top. Then take your big tiller and let it rip. Don't know how fast you work but you should be able to determine the time it would take you to do those three things. NOt a big deal.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

One thing to consider when taking on these types of jobs.
    WATCH OUT for poison. Poison Ivy, posion oak, most times there is bound to be something in there that is poison, so price accordingly and take precautions.
    I can't tell you how many times we got calls for some type of clearing job, where the homeowner doesn't want to touch it, because they know there is poison in there.

5. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I have done two clearing jobs like this. I bid them around 90 an hour and the clients agreed on the spot without hesitation.

6. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Where gloves. I don't know if it's just me or not, but every time I get into ivy ground cover I get a nasty poison ivy like rash on my whole body. Had to get 5 cortisone shots in the past year from it.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it is not eradicated, it will keep coming back and keep coming back. Ivy's are strong and hearty, and grow rhizomatously. Without a total kill of all roots and runners, it just keeps growing. THIS is why repeat applications are necessary, too. Trust me on this...If you want to just hit and run, that is fine....But if you want to do it right, have it sprayed - with the RIGHT mix, too.