How to remove ivy permantly

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by maddie, Mar 15, 2007.

1. maddie

maddie LawnSite Member

I need to remove 450 sq. ft. of vine cover from existing beds. The customer wants to take it completely out for a new look and he is tired of the maintainence. I heard you have to keep cutting it back and applying round-up for several treatments. How would I charge on something like this. My labor rate is 35 per hr. I have no idea how long this is going to take. Does any one have any insight on this situation.

2. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

you didnt say what kind of vine... spray it with a hot mix of diquat a week later mow it down or buzz it down with a string trimmer. next round spray what comes back up with a mix of 2-4,D and glyphosate mixed at double the label directions with an ounce of Dawn per gallon mixed in. next round i had to spay again but that was all. this technique worked on an old asiatic jasmine bed and 2 yrs later no jasmine has come back.

3. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Are you serious recommending he spray at double the label rate (illegal?) when you are not even sure what vine he is trying to control?
    Neal

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Good call Neal. Maddie, if the customer is comfortable with it, you could give them an estimate of how long it will take, and then bill them actual man-hours when you are done. FWIW, I have had great success with many types of brush and vines (esp. poison ivy), by using a product called Crossbow (by Dow I think). Might be worth checking into.

5. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

sorry i was half asleep when i wrote that. that being said I stand corrected and consider my hand slapped.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Double the recommended mix of round-up is the only thing that I know will kill Ivy, I personally love Ivy because I can spray for weeds at will and it never hurts the ivy lol. But you have to be careful around plants!
    As for getting it off of trees, here again be careful, I usually take some shears and simply snip through all the stalks around the base of the tree then in a few weeks it all dies and falls off. It is a bit time consuming, but it really only takes a few minutes per tree.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

you can spray round up to kill the ivy growing up the trunks of trees, round up is obsorbed thru the leaves, not bark or roots, so as long as you dont hit the leaves of the tree and your over spray can be controld, your fine, i use a swip (sponge) applicator for vines growing up the sides of homes/trees/flower beds, etc. also it depends what kind of tree, you can spray (on the lighter side) weeds/ivy growing up thru pine trees, junipers, and a few others with out causeing damage.

8. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Be very careful of thin barked trees with Roundup. It can translocate through the bark pretty easily, especially if you use a surfactant, so use caution. Wiping would be the best for young trees and other thin bark types.
    Neal

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

A combination of R-up and any common broadleaf weed killer will eliminate the ivy. Keep spray away from desirable plants.

10. JayDawgnh

JayDawgnh LawnSite Member

As long as you cut the stems and then spray it with a herbicide. Any ALWAYS! NO MATTER WHAT! apply by manufactural recommendations stated on the label.

Adding adjuvants/anti desicants such as dawn soap to the mix will allways yield greater results.