How to remove Ivy??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by twins_lawn_care, Oct 13, 2003.

1. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

We have been removing some ivy from a house here, and have gotten almost everything away from the structure. What is left is a main stalk which runs up a corner of the chimney, about 2" in diameter. My question is what is the best way to get rid of this without damaging the house?
    I wanted to know if I should use some sort of chemical to help kill it over the winter, or just start destroying it carefully, maybe with some sort of dremel, piece by piece?
    I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, as this ivy holds on tough!

Thanks in advance as always! :D

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If the main stalk is 2 inches I'm guessing that its been there quite awhile and there probably is damage already if it started to grow behind the clapboard's. If its just stuck to the chimney tie a chain around it and yank it off with your truck. If the chimney comes down then the darn thing falling apart and need to be condemned if a 2inch stalk is all thats holding it up.
    Mac:confused:

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut it off from the ground. Remove whatever comes of easily. Let the rest of the rootlets dry up over the winter to make it come off more easily... if you can wait that long. You might want to cut chunks out of that big stem here and there to make sure the rootlets are not able to keep the beast alive.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I second AGLA. Remove what you can, and cut the remaining stalk away from the root system. In time it will dry up and die. As far as the remaining roots, your gonna have to spray or else ivy will come right back. :cool:

5. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
    We chopped all the roots thinking the same things. I was unsure if the stalk itself could regenerate roots to come back to life.

I think we'll cut it up as much as possible, and let it die out over the winter. Thanks for the advice.

Is there any chemicals which can help this, or should we let it naturally take its course?

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

ditto

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ditto that ditto.

8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

theres a new product specifically for vine treatment. I believe it was developed with DOW Agro and is called Vine X. It comes in a pint size bottle with a "paint brush" and you wipe it on the living plant, and it;ll kill roots and all. I believe it has the ai of pathfinder II, which is a chemical I know works. While I have the VineX at hand I have not tried it yet, but I hope to in the next few weeks on a 10' fence covered in very mature vines, including poison ivy. I'll have to post on the results. I'm sure they have a website. And the box which the product comes in is a hot pink color.

9. beherit316

beherit316 Banned
    from NJ

Try pouring some gasoline on the root. gas works wonders and tends to kill vegatation.It can be an unorthodox way of treating it though.
    Try it anyway, it cant hurt you.Just make sure the area is dry before you leave so there cant be an accidental fire.

10. beherit316

beherit316 Banned
    from NJ

Oh one more thing about using gas.Make sure the house doesnt have well water or a pond nearby.though you dont need alot of gas to kill it, but it is safe to make sure it doesnt seep into a water source.