How to remove pully wheel from drive shaft- Gravely WB

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PerfiCut L&L, Mar 10, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" gravely walkbehind. Im trying to pull the transmission off to replace it, but I cant figure out how to get the pully wheel off. Theres no bolt holding it on.

Could the pully wheel be perminantly attached to the shaft that runs up into the transmission? requiring me to open the transmission itself and somehow drop the pully shaft?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

There should be a snap ring holding the pulley on, Put a wire brush on the end of the shaft and see if it isn't covered with crud, It is a keyed pulley so spray with WD40 or something before removal.

3. PerfiCut L&L

special tool required to get it off?

4. Restrorob

Snap ring pliers, Some auto parts stores have loaner tools or you can buy a cheap pair, Their not very expensive. Pulley removal, Just a long screw driver to pry downward and tap with a hammer.

5. PerfiCut L&L

tap screwdriver downward?

Ill look but I dont think theres any access to the top of the pully due the deck the tranny is mounted on. Ill double check though.

6. Restrorob

I know there isn't much clearance, wedge the screw driver between the pulley and frame and pry downward lightly and tap the center area of the pulley but not right on the shaft, Rotate from side to side and it should walk down off the shaft. Before doing this use some sand paper or a wire brush the clean any crud and rust off the protruding shaft and again use penetrating oil.

If that doesn't work just remove the top cover then lift the two shafts out and remove the snap ring on the pinion gear and tap the shaft out the bottom, Then worry about removing the shaft out of the pulley.