1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to remove small stumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pizpoppa, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Pizpoppa

Pizpoppa LawnSite Member

One of my customers has recently asked me to remove a stump she has in her property; and before telling her yes or no, or referring her to a real tree removal place (not really worth it though because its 1 small stump) I thought I would ask any of you if there is an easy and/or convential way of doing it? Thanks.
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

How small is small? Under 12 inches get out there with grub shovel and prybar and make short work of it, if its any bigger better off paying someone 50-100 to grind it then tack on a bit for your expertise and send the bill.
  3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Pick, axe, and 6' prybar. One hour and lots of sweat. If it's located close enough put a chain around it and pull it out with your truck.
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if theres still a stem on it, we just hook it up to the trailer hitch with a chain and yank it right out. if its not visible, use a pick and cutters
  5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

If it is under 12" I would get someone to dig it out. Pick, shovels, axe. If it is over 12" hire it out.
  6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

Another idea is to rent a stump grinder. Most rental shops will rent them for a half day. The half day cost in Va. is $75.00.
  7. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

My rental place rents a small stump grinder. I think it's like $25.00 for 4 hours. Small enough to throw in the back of the truck. It has a 5.5 Honda engine. If you don't want to rent something then you'll have to work your BUTT off with a axe or something else.
    Good Luck,
  8. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i have a cordless dewalt saws all ,works good if you want to just put them a few inches be low the ground so you can mow with out hitting one ,

i all so like it to remove buches and stuff out of the fences.
  9. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I just finishes tearing some stumps out a few weeks ago. Miserable work...but if you only have one and it is not huge, you may only need to break half your back getting it out.

One thing to think about (I love to worry) Are there any utility lines that could get caught up in pulling the stump from the ground?

For some of the stumps I just did I hooked a cable
    come-a-long around the stump and cranked it up. Then it was mainly a matter of axing/chainsawing/somehow cutting away at the base until it popped out. The best advice I can give...Use the RIGHT TOOL for the job!...usually your back is not the right tool:)
  10. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Real Simple, just get a chain and wrap it around the base of it after digging a little around it, then just hook it to your truck. All done, 5 minutes.