How to remove Walker gas tank?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcambrose, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

What is the trick to removing the walker mower tank on a 1999 model with the valve in the bottom/side of the tank. I had water in my tank, so I wanted to take it off and pour the gas out, but I couldn't work the gas tank out after removing the two screws which attach the tank. I thought about removing the valve, but I couldn't see an easy to do it since there is a metal piece behind the valve. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I drain the fuel out of the valve in the bottom then take a coat hanger wire and bend a small hook in one end then put a shop rag in the hook and crimp it closed, Feed the rag down the fill neck then move it around to the corners. Sometimes it takes a couple rags but saves time removing hard to get to tanks.

3. mcambrose

That is what I ended up doing, but it took about an hour to drain the tank. I thought it might be easier to remove the tank sometimes, so I wanted to know the preferred procedure.

4. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Drill a hole in the bottom of the tank. Let it drain, flush it a few times, then fill it with epoxy.

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sorry, but I have to ask.....

Have you ever heard of a syphon hose? :)

Set the back tires on a couple blocks, (so all the water and junk goes to one corner of tank)

Bingo...You can drain that tank in less than 5 mins. Water and all. In fact, as all the water and junk will be at the bottom of tank, it will come out first, and you might not have to drain whole tank.

Just a time saving suggestion for next time.

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Glad you don't work on my mower. :)

7. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

Funny huh?

8. avp27

avp27 LawnSite Member

had to do this recently as I had a whole in mine.... You need to remove the stop valve at the base of the tank. I found that if you remove the rubber bushing as well it comes out pretty easily.

9. mcambrose

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to buy a siphon hose like what is used to pump kerosene. I'm not going to suck on a gas siphon with my mouth. I've seen someone get some in their mouth before.

10. mcambrose

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to buy a siphon hose like what is used to pump kerosene. I'm not going to suck on a gas siphon with my mouth. I've seen someone get some in their mouth before.