how to renovate 14,158 sqft that much of is on a bad hill

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by clydesdale, Nov 13, 2006.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

For starters the soil might be crap. The lawn is a new lawn made by a cheap contractor for a new construction house. The builder used cheap soil and the result is just a ton of weeds. It looks to me like I would have to kill the weeds first and start over. How do i kill the weeds? Round up strong enough? How much round up would I need? My calculations say there would be 130 yds of soil if I wanted a 3 inch coat of top soil. This can be massively cost prohibitive. This job is a bit out of my scope, but the guy would like me to consider it. Can you give me some guidance?

2. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Be careful if you take this job. If the bank is steep the roots of the weeds may be the only thing keeping the soil in place. If you were to kill the weeds this time of year you do not have enough growing season to establish grass and a new root system. One heavy rain and you have erosion,,, whose responsibility is it to fix the erosion??

I am not trying to dissuade you,, I just don't think this is the right time of year for a project like this in NY.

3. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

The best method would be a complete renovation.....Roundup and a good power seeding.

This can be done several ways, but here is what I would do and I have personally done hundreds like this using every machine on the market which lead me to design and produce a much better piece of equipement for this line of work.

START in Late Aug!!!!! or just use Sod. Do it in the spring, and you will have a weed mess by fall. Do it now, and you will have mud and the seed most likely won't germinate and will get washed away before spring.

Round up the entire area, 1 time and then a 2nd for spot applications to ensure everything is completely dead. Use power seeder to level out and breakup the surface of the hill to get good soil to see contact. Of course, I have to plug our machine (Turf Revitalizer) www.LawnSolutionsCP.Com would work best especially on hills and preping the area for seed.

Top soil should not be needed unless the area if full of rocks. Just level it out with a power rake (again our seeder) TTTF grows fine in clay. There is only clay in the Louisville area and TTTF grows excellent along with blue grass. Get a mix of TTTF and blue grass to better resistance to fungus which I assume is an issue in your area due to summer humidity.

Run the seeder seeder up and down or diagonally on the first pass, the second pass needs to be against the hill to keep the seed in place during heavy rains. Our seeder has a 30% lower center of gravity than the leading seeder on the market making it far superior or hills and it is also the only hydrostaticly driven seeder (like a hydro walkbehind) with pistol grip controls. Very, very easy to use and has more power to the blades than any other seeder on the market so you can use it like a tiller if need.

Back to your questions, wait until late Aug to start other wise you will be fighting weeds, fungus, errosion, etc.. all spring and summer. If you try it in the spring, make plans to at least power seed again in mid to late September.

Start the seeding part in September should allow the grass to germinate in 5-6 days and be 2" tall in 14 days from seeding. Of course this only works if it gets some water. We used portable irrigation systems on areas like this to ensure just enough water but not too much. Alway use a starter fertilizer just after seeding or as soon as the seed germinates to help it thicken and get established quicker.

David

4. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Very good advice from David, similar to the way I also would tackle the project. Much better results in the late summer / fall as suggested. Just follow Davids directions.

5. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I would be doing this in late summer to fall. The soil is a little crappy. It has some sandy and rocky areas. Erosion can be a problem. The customer told me that when they originally put the seed in, a lot got washed away in a heavy storm.
    So what to do? Round up, power rake and then use a slit seeder or something like that? Thanks