How to repair my lawn??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by elexir, Mar 30, 2014.

1. elexir

elexir LawnSite Member

I live in Portland, OR. I have a lawn in backyard which doesnt get much sun (shade from home and trees). snow this winter has made it worse.

It looks like Grub infested with most of the lawn being pretty patchy. (see pic) - Can you provide expert opinion on how to get my lawn back in shape. My Plan/Questionsare follows - appreciate your input..

1. In april 1stweek , I am thinking to apply Bayer Advanced 24 hr Grub Killer Plus - Granular or Scotts Grub-Ex - Granular and wait 1 week to kill the existing grubs.
    2. In second week..for the patches, apply topsoil+compost -> Buy some shade lawn seeds and overseed .,
    3. Fertilize and water.

Will this plan work? Can you guys recommend specific fertilizers or methods that will help for my situation.. (I am not sure if the lawn has good irrigation -how can I check?)

Attaching the pic

20140330_075435.jpg

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing we would do is to pull up that sod and look for grubs. In ouour area grubs don't work on little spots and kill it. They take bigger areas and kill out grass 100%. You need to read up on your type of grubs before blasting away with chemical. I thi k it should be wrong time for chemical.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't look like grubs but I'd still check. Try and peel it up. If it was grub damage it's a waste to put down a grub treatment now given the age of the grub. Wait until when your suppose to put down the preventer in your area.
    Looks like you lawn had disease or insect problem but the photo isn't clear enough to tell. I'd slit seed it with a high quality shade mix. I would not just put top soil over the dead spots and seed unless the dead spots are straight dirt without decomposing grass layer on top. If you top soil over dead grass you're asking for problems down the road and will be seeding again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. elexir

elexir LawnSite Member

Thanks for replies- I checked beneath the soil and doesnt look like Grub damage.. As suggested I am going to overseed with shade mix - also what I noticed is that the soil is mostly clay - and it is heavily compacted ... I am going to areate it a bit.. may be apply some Gypsum.. what do you guys think?

5. crgstvrs

crgstvrs LawnSite Member

id probably do all you say aerate/loosen soil rake in some peat moss, possibly some gypsum, overseed and top with another dusting of peat moss.