How to repair poorly taken care of yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawndummy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. lawndummy

lawndummy LawnSite Member

Without getting into specifics, the yard I am working on has a lot going on. Many dead spots, all different types of weeds in all areas, what grass is left is very stressed and on its way out. Looking for a reseed process, start to finish...

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

before doing anything, have the soil tested and then go from there, but i think think the problem is the home owner offering lack of maintence and water

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

Power rake, Slit-Seed, Starter Fert, and Water. I like the soil testing idea but have never done it.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How long does it take a puddle of water to soak into a spot on this lawn?
    The reason I ask is because if it is a hardpan - that needs to be dealt with first.
  5. lawndummy

lawndummy LawnSite Member

I will have to check on the water soaking and get back. Thanks for the input.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Definitivly looks like a soil issue. If you look in your first pic, the neighbors yard looks pretty good.

Find out the results of your soil test first. It doesn't seem like an overly large area, so sodding might be a good direction to go.

Regardless, a good tilling/cultivating will probably do wonders for the lawn.

Some Ag companies sell soil compaction testers. Might be something to think about too.
  7. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I would start with a soil test as well. I am quite sure you are going to have some severe compaction problems after that.

1. Make homeowner sign a watering/maintance agreement.
    2. Soil test
    3. decide on soil ammendments
    4. Deep subsoil tillage
    5. Condition soil with added soil ammendments
    6. Seed or sod.
    7. Get paid

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I am along with most of them....but the first thing I would do is spray with Gly and start over. Pulling a soil test is probably not a bad idea as if there are any major changes or additions that are needed (pH change needed for example)....this would be the best time to do so!

Once you have sprayed wait a week, and if you are ok with the terrain and lay of the gound, I would slice seed in two directions in the existing lawn. There is really no need for tilling or any kind of disturbance.

All you need to do them is fert, water and watch it grow! If you are going to seed in the summer heat...then you may want to blow a little straw on it also to help retain moisture.