How to replace 1500sf of lilies with grass??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by thefed, May 17, 2007.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Theres a patch of land with SOLID lilies...lilies of the valley I think

Whats the best way to remove them and replace with grass? I already string-trimmed them, raked out the vegitation, tilled, raked out the thick roots, tilled, raked some more

But i still seem to have a 2" deep 'thatch' of lilly roots that needs to come up. I was going to round up everything...but I figure that with such an intense root system, the lillies are bound to return and take over the seed I plant

Then I figured I'd use a round-up product that attacks roots...but its a pre-m as well, so the seed wont grow.

Any suggestions?

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Dig deeper.....

3. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

My tiller is set to its deepest setting, 8 inches orso, and no go...too many tree roots in the area and i just keep bouncing back up...i'd say 50% of the area is free of root system, while 50% is not...

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be afraid to plant the grass until those roots are gone or 100% dead. Most of the non-sterilant vegetation controls I have experience with, you need leaves on the plants for absorption.

Unless someone here has some chemical remedies, I think alot of hand shoveling is in your future - to do it right.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have used roundup it kills down to the root. Then when the vegatation was dead I would have raked out the dead vegatation and tilled only the top 2 inches. Just do your best to manualy sift the area for live root. and put a good seed down