How to replace starter on a Lazer Z HP???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tynash, Mar 10, 2007.

1. tynash

tynash LawnSite Member

I have a lazer Z HP that the starter sort of blew apart on me last year. The starter pops up and spins but the housing is all gone and is very loose and is not making contact. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get to the starter and how to replace it? I started taking parts off around it last year but is seemed like it was pretty burried by other componets around it.

Any help, advice or tips anyone could offer would be great.

Thank you,

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you have to take the metal cage off the top of the flywheel fan, then you have to loosen all of the 10mm bolts that hold the plastic on. disconnect the battery then loosen all the cable connections from the starter. then, i can't remember what size wrench, you have to manipulate the bolts out of the housing that holds the starter on. installation is the reverse. it takes time and patience. at least thats how it was on my 23 kawi on my old lazer. i should know, i had it rebuilt 2 times in 3 years. IF your battery ever gets low, do not try to crank the mower, this will burn the starter out fast, charge it or jump it.

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

there is a thread for repairs, perhaps post it there