How to reseed my lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Sep 10, 2004.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have made a couple of post with questions over the past couple of days and have gathered alot of good info. Thanks to all.

Does this sound like a good plan?

I plan on buying some Ortho Weed-B-Gone to try to kill of my Wild Violets and crab grass.

I want to overseed the yard, I live in Central NJ, and my lawn is a mix of grasses. Should I just buy a premium blend of grass seed from Home Depot (Scotts or Lesco)? Home Depot will also rent me a drill seeder (I assume it is an aerator) or an overseeder (I assume is a slice seeder). The guy at home depot said the "gas powered overseeder" will tear up my current lawn. Not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not but can somebody point me in the right direction? How should I go about seeding my lawn?

Thanks for the help.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Buy the blend, and slice seed it in. water, water, water till it germinates

Mac

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

But don't overseed too soon after you apply weed killer. Usual recommendation is about 6 weeks after. You can shorten this a little if you are willing to pay extra attention to your lawn after you seed it.

4. weekendDIY

from NJ

Slice seed - I assume I can get one from a tool rental place? Will that tear up the current lawn? Is there anything that I have to be aware about (patern, overlap, etc)?

Watering - I have a spinkler system that runs every 2 days for 20 minutes per zone. I know I will have to water it every day but does 20 minutes sound right or is that too much

Timing - I live in Central NJ, when is the latest that I can get the seed down?

5. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

If you read my current thread called "Heavy Clover Problems" we talk extensively about fall lawn renovations. All of your questions will be answered.

6. weekendDIY

from NJ

MC1169 - Thanks for the info on your thread. There was alot there that helped. I do have one question -

I plan on doing the Weed-B-Gone tonight for the Wild Violets. How long do you have to wait after that to aerate and seed?

7. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

I've heard of people on here slit seeding and fertilizing the day after the spraying the lawn to kill. I'd wait 3-4 days(personally) to make sure I killed the lawn by waiting to see it brown. Hope this helps. Post your results in the pic forum(before/after).

8. weekendDIY

from NJ

Thanks gml9. I figured I was going to wait until at least next weekend to seed

I have been recommend to aerate and seed my lawn by some and others have suggested slice seed my lawn. Which is better to do to why? Is one easier to do for a novice like myself? Is there anything to be careful of?

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Spraying WeedBeGone and seeding next week will result in seed that will not germinate. Due to the time of year I would suggest either a total lawn kill using roundup or similar glyphosate product or skipping the weed killing all together until next year. Next spring you can worry about the weeds as most of them will be dieing or going dormant at the first frost, which for you will probably be within the next 4 weeks, (mid Oct).
    Good results can be had overseeding using an areator or slit seeding. My personal preference is broadcasting and then using an areo-vator to work the seed into the soil. If you go the slit seeding route I would suggest making two passes over your lawn with the second pass at a 45* angle to the first pass. This will help elimate the appearance of seeding in rows.

10. weekendDIY

from NJ

muddstopper - you are the first person to say not to use the Weed-B-Gone and to reseed this fall. Why is that, espically since I did the Weed-B-Gone tonight.

My plan was to Weed-B-Gone tonight than again in a week. I was than going to wait another 1-2 weeks and aerate and seed which would put me at the end of the month or 1st week of October. I can skip the second Weed-B-Gone and reseed in 2-3 weeks. What is the latest that I can put the seed down?