1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to reseed this yard?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DiMassa33, Aug 24, 2006.

1. DiMassa33

DiMassa33 LawnSite Member

this is a yard in bad shape and i was just wondering what you guys would do to reseed it, if you would dig a the grass up with a shovel and then rototill it?
    Please leave me answers, im in desperate need.

2. Reliable1

Reliable1 LawnSite Member

First I would spray and kill any weeds that may be in the lawn. Second, I would aerate and overseed with the type of grass (fescue?) and then topdress with compost. Depends on the customer and how much they want to put into the lawn also.
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

spray for weeks now wait 2 wks and aerate, seed[25 lbs for 1/4 acre] , starter fertilizer, and lime if needed.$350
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ditto. Except I'd spray (round up), aerate, compost, drag in the compost, then overseed.
  5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Aerate the devil out of it..4 or 5 times, wait for the cores to dry some then overseed with whatever blend you want or the customer wants. Be sure to seed two directions putting down 50% of the total application. Dont worry about what is there now a double pass with a good seedeer like the Turfco will slow them down alot. Keep the lawn damp till the new plants sprout. Then do a watering longer but everyother day..Not too much make the plants work for the water. After the first mowing go to every third day

A week After planting. come back with a good starter fert. Any sooner and you will be feeding the existing plants.

I have done this procedure many times and it works great for me. I use a equal blend of Perinnial rye, blue and fescue..
    Turfco Bob
  6. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of compost are you using and how are you dragging it in? Thanks Matt
  7. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

No compost needed...Aerate the heck out of the lawn, over seed and starter fert in one shot. (maybe slice seed in really bare areas) As long as the client waters, you'll have no problem germinating the seed this time of the season. A winter fert really isn't needed because the fertility levels should be enough before the fall time hits. Maybe a lime app might be necessary pending a soil sample. Knock out any weeds in late spring if needed and a couple rounds of pre-m or dimension to control crabgrass in early and late spring.