How to roll-over customers from one year to the next?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, spring is getting here.

There is nothing to cut out here in central NJ just yet.

I'm not currently doing ferts as I'm not licensed for it yet. Gotta start slowly, somewhere right?

I have about 15 customers from last year that I was mowing.

Do you mail out letters to them stating that as of April 15th, you will be starting lawn service again and to call you only if they want to cancel?

Should I do a letter by mail or call each and every one of them by phone? Thanks for any ideas on what you do.

Gary

2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I call all mine in the spring to confirm. I have learned to ask in the fall if I happen to talk to them anyway. Some of mine have gotten used to me calling and write " See you next year " on the memo of there check when they pay the last bill of the year.

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

I send out a letter saying "please call to confirm" and if they are too busy to call, I always call them. If i did not do this, I would have mowed 2 lawns extra this year, for free. One customer passed away, the other moved... Neither called back, imagine that!

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Doogiegh....

I call all my customers I had last year and ask them if they would like to continue the service.

If they say yes, I tell them that I would like to fertilize first using Scotts Turf Builder....You dont need a license for that.

If they say no...well I cant help you cause I haven't had a customer say no yet..;) :D

5. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I send out a short survey asking them to rate our service for last year. usually 6-10 questions. At the end there is a statment telling them we have them signed up for this season and a place for them to sign. This has helped us to figure out what our customers pet peeves are so we provide better service. Also with the signiture unlike a phone call they cant say they didn't order our service. Usually send it out in February

Dennis

6. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I never stop going to my customers lawns, there is always something to do even during the winter, we don't have to much winter down here in the south. If they want to discontinue the service then they will tell me. I haven't had but a few tell me that.

7. mudnthundr

mudnthundr LawnSite Member

I always mail a letter out in mid March reminding them that mowing time is coming up soon and asking them to call me if they want to be put on my mowing list. I also plow snow for most of my lawn customers so with their last plowing bill I also include a the note about mowing and spring cleanups.
    It also never hurts to put a few business cards in the spring start up letter. You never know who they're gonna recommend you to.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My service agreement states that service will continue until either party gives a 30 day notice to cancel.

I learned this method from my first Landlord. I rented a house for a few years and when it was time to move. I wrote a letter giving my landlord a 60 day notice. He calls me back and explained to me that he will let me out of my lease if I pay him $1100. I called my lawyer and he suggested that I pay. Because the lease said I must give a 30 day notice before the end of the lease agreement or the lease would renew. well my lease had just renewed (for the third time) a couple of weeks before I gave my notice. So it was either pay the money or be stuck there another year.

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I either call or stop and see them in person. I explain everything is the same as last year and also try to give thwm some ideas for this year.

10. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

we send out a mailing to all customers that we provider a service to last year. in it is a thank you for the help in making last year so successful not. we include a S.A.S. card with a list of all our services. we get a great response from it. generates lots of work for us. we have not lost a customer in 5 years and sometimes we get calls in the spring asking whether we are sending out our letters!!