1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to screw your Permagreen dealer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 12, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our local LESCO guys got screwed bigtime last week by an unscrupulous LCO competitor. (found out last night from our mowing subcontractor - then from LESCO today). Here's what happened:
    Last week a local LCO competitor brought back a 2005 PG magnum with 300 hours to my local LESCO dealer. Said it was broke, and it did not spray. LESCO asked if it ever had been dropped off a trailor or if it often hopped curbs....LCO said NO - NEVER. The LCO was boisterous, rude, and demanding. So our local LESCO guy (new guy) got on the phone with his LESCO regional manager --Mistakenly, the regional rep assumed this LCO was their biggest customer in Iowa (VERY far from the truth as they mostly are a mowing company that does not use any LESCO equipment at all!). Bottom line: The LESCO regional manager "okay'd" a brand new 2007 PG Magnum for this guy. The LCO then said, "Thanks, we'll be buying more from you".
    After that, LESCO found out from two different sources (LCO's) that this returned unit had fallen off the trailer at least two times! After close inspection, LESCO discovered that the engine platform was also cracked.

Here's what this LCO did with their 2007 Magnum (only one hour on it - factory hour): They parked it out front with a "for sale" sign on it. My friend then saw it and bought it for $4500. The check was made out to '..............' instead of P_____________ (LCO). Also, no tax was paid.
    P____________ (LCO) does not operate ANY PG units now, they use a Z-Spray.
    This is not the first time this LCO has bent the law.

It just makes me mad, cuz I love LESCO, and "dealings like this" only raise costs for honest LCO's. The LESCO store is located in Clive, Iowa.

Please guys, give your input on this, cuz the "loss" incurred by LESCO also came out of my local LESCO guys' pay. (Their regional manager has since been let go).

PM if you want the name of the local LCO culprit. Thanks.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I would think the RM would have wanted to check this out in person before turning over a brand new unit for one half way through its 3rd season at no cost?
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like they both screwed up. Who would give out a brand new machine for a 3 year old one w/o looking at it first? I'd think insurance would cover something like this though, at least covering replacement of a "faulty" machine.
  4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

there will always be thieves and liars looking for a quick score, and there are always fools to be had!

the machine should have been looked over
  5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the scam people do to Home Depot with buying mowers and snowblowers and returning them in the off season.
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Something fishy here. most vendors, including lesco will step up and do the right thing but only after they have done their due diligence. To give a new machine without looking at the old one is just plain silly.
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

happens that even though i am several states away I know the guy you are speaking of. I find him to be an honest guy. From my understanding they won a new magnum and sold it.
    Sooo, could there be some mis-information going on here?

this is how rumors start. I also know they do not own a Z-spray but do own equipment from C&S though I dont know which unit
  8. cycloneturf

cycloneturf LawnSite Member
    from midwest

After reading the above posts and gathering some information (Not Hear Say) from the individuals involved it appears some of the information posted above is incorrect. The permagreen was purchased from Lesco in the winter of 2006 and was returned and credited for a new machine in the spring of 2007. The zone vice president, not the regional manager made this decision to credit the customer back the the old machine and bill a new machine. As far as not looking into the machine before it was credited back seems to be confused based on previous posts. The frame seemed to be in very bad condition and appeared to be bent and cracked in several spots. Based on the information the mechanic gave it appeared the machine had been abused. After the machine was in the service repair shop 4 different times for warranty and non warranty work the decision was made to credit the customer back his old machine and bill him a new machine. Although the zone vice president is no longer with Lesco the decision he made is not the reason he is no longer with the company. Other than hear say Lesco had no proof that the machine had been abused and based on the records from warranty work done and complaints on the machine from the customer the decision was made by Lesco to credit the machine back.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This is what I know with my own eyes: I know that LESCO gave this LCO a new 2007 Magnum (one hour on it) which was promptly resold to my good friend who subcontracts our mowing (for $4500). He made the check out to an "individual" instead of the LCO. He also paid no tax. My LESCO rep gave me permission to make this post because of the injustice and deceit he & other LESCO personel felt were involved. I don't know how LESCO has done it's accounting on the old broken Magnum, it's still up in the air, as they will have to relist it as part of their inventory. (I have dibs on it if it's around $1000). I also know LESCO is very upset + ........... regarding this situation .

Now here is what my LESCO rep told me: The zone vp (same thing as regional manager) was on a 3-way call when he made the decision. 2 different individuals later told LESCO about the machine being dropped. I do not know why the zone vp was discharged. Maybe "Location: midwest" does. LESCO told me the returned Magnum was a 2005 model that had nearly 300 hours on it. If I'm wrong, just call LESCO - I posted their number below.

Bottom line: If more "stunts" like this ocurr, it could affect honest LCO's credibility down the road. As it is, I can make a phone and receive four semi loads of LESCO product with no questions asked. Nothing signed (until the drivers deliver 80 tons of product to our doorstep). When top-notch outfits like LESCO & PermaGreen "experience losses", those costs are passed along to you & me. I don't think that's fair/honest. My local LESCO's phone number is: (515) 267-8474. This post is nothing personal against the abovementioned LCO. I have friends there. But cutting a check out to an individual instead of the company that 1st bought the machine concerns me. Then not paying tax on it.............well, I think you can all read between the lines. My bad cuz I didn't call him a zone vp??
  10. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

no, your bad for bring this up in a public forum in the first place especially when all you have is hearsay.

starting to sound like you got some pretty sour grapes??

i really dont give a crap one way or another especially a 'check made out to the individual and not the company'..... so what??,,,,no sales tax??,,,good for him!

personally, i find this whole thread in bad taste (oh i know, you only posted it because you love lesco :rolleyes: )