How to search Lawnsite threads?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by nt1, Oct 9, 2009.

1. nt1

nt1 LawnSite Senior Member

How do I search threads with words that have only 2 or 3 letters?

Also, how do you search threads containing numbers?

Examples would be something like searching for particular "mower size" or searching for "van".

This is probably posted in the wrong area but I was unsure where to post.

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Not quite sure what you're asking with regards to the numbers bit, but using the search function on LS is very similar to google or any other regular engine. You can select to have either threads or posts that include your desired keywords.

Also, you can use quotation marks to search for only the exact phrase or word in quotations. I would assume numbers to be the same.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but a forum search is a bit...
    Archaic in comparison to Google.

In ways you're better off using Google to begin with....
    As such [site:lawnsite.com searchwords]
    Which that's how you search a specific site using Google,
    and G won't care how many letters you use.
    Don't use the [ ] doohickeys.

4. nt1

Well, lets say you are searching titles only and you wanted to look up something like: Stihl 420 , echo 260, toro 36, or something as simple as van.

When I search the results do not include the numbers and if there is a word with less than 4 letters it is not included in the results.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Try:
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source..."stihl+420"&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=2cca7b2e99206b9c

It's not the prettiest way, but it works.
    Might have to include the quotation marks, although that narrows it down to exactly those words in that order...

You could, I suppose, try the quotation mark bit here, but I'm not sure if it works like that.

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I put "Stihl 420" (in quotes, btw) and 'show posts' in as the search conditions. . . and the first thing that came up was this thread. It seemed to work fine for me, not sure why it won't recognize what you are searching.

1000 posts whoo hoo only took 5 years :clapping:
    I'm Bronze (whatever that means).

Sorry, just had to do that.

7. nt1

Yeah, that works for showing posts within a thread but not for thread titles.
    I might have to search many unrelated threads that just happen to include the words "stihl 420".

Thanks for the work around but that is alot of back and forth.