How To Secure Mower On Trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, May 6, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

HEY GUYS, I'VE GOT 36" SCAG W/B BELT AND I'VE BEEN USING LATCHET TIE DOWN TO SECURE IT WHILE I'M DRIVING.
    BUT IT TAKES TOO MUCH OF TIME TO UNLOAD AND LOAD.
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SECURE (HOLD) THE 36" TO MY OPEN TRAILER?

TRAILER HAS TREATED WOOD FLOOR.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

It takes me about 15-20 seconds to secure each mower to a the trailer with ratchet straps. Is that to much time? Easiest method IMO. Why mess around with other gimmicks?

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The best way I've found is on your trailer use a 4x4 and kinda make a "lane" for your mower to fit into, and then at the end of the lane use a 2x4 or the like to box it in so it won't slide out. Works great and theres no tying down needed.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our trailor has sides so we dont secure them at all. Why not just put some short sides on the trailor? With a belt drive all you have to do is butt the front up against the front the of trailor turn it off then leave it in gear. It wont budge.

5. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

I HEARD THAT LEAVE MACHINE IN GEAR AND DRIVING AROUND WAS BAD FOR THE TRANSMISSION. :confused:

NOT SURE JUST ASKING.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Uh, guys, you should strap them down securely for safety reasons in case you have a wreck. I believe it's the law too in most places.

7. ProStreetCamaro

In the 20 years my dad and I have been doing this we havent had one tranny failure. Wait thats a lie. The 5 speed on our 50" gravely went after 2,500 hours of pulling us around.

8. ProStreetCamaro

It might be the law but I dont think I have ever seen 1 out of the many hundreds of LCO's in this area ever strap there mowers down. I know we dont do it and the mowers "48" lazer z hp and 36" scag" have never even budged.

9. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Buy Fast Straps. Do a Search on this subject.

10. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 2" x 4" cut into four pieces that will totally go around one of the front wheels. Nail or screw them together making a box around the wheel. Use angle braces and screws to bolt the box the floor of the trailer. Then all you have to do is raise up the front of the mower and drop the front wheel in the box and go. Takes 2 seconds to secure. It's been working for me for years. If you need a picture for reference let me know. Hope that helps.