How to Seed and Kill Weeds?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mike75, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a very thin bermuda lawn that is full of weeds. I am trying to combat the weeds, but want/need to seed fescue in the shady areas because bermuda will not grow in the shade. How am I supposed to go about this? I need to put the seed down now, but I also need to spray for weeds now and apply a pre-emergent plus fertilizer to the lawn soon. Should I just be very careful to not allow any of the fertlizer/weed killer to contact the seeds? Please help!

2. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

I would forget weed control for now. The only pre-emergents that will allow you to seed are quite expensive. If you get the fescue going strong, that will take care of the weeds. I would seed and fertilize in a couple weeks (you're just a little south of me -- wait until nighttime temps are consistently in the 50's). By late May to early June, if you still have a weed problem, you can deal with it then.

3. Mike75

Mike75 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Can I fertilize over the seed/newly growing fescue? I would not think so?

4. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

You really cant pre-m and seed, unless you use something like Drive, however, you may need to be licensed to even buy it. I'm not that familar with southern lawns since I'm from Pa., but if the weed problem is that bad, can you kill the lawn and start from anew?
    Try to google Drive or Drive 75 as it is also known as, and see if it will work for you, thats if you can get it, not being a smarta$$, I know some states are strict on not only applying it, but purchasing it as well without being certified, and rightly so. Good luck!!

5. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Starter fertilizer will serve your established turf pretty well, too. I would apply a starter fert as suggested by your seed supplier or fert supplier. There's not that much difference. I think the starter ferts have slightly higher phosphorous than maintenance ferts.

6. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

STATER FERTILIZER will help control the weeds in your newly seeded fescue lawn and help the seeds to germinate, about $13-$16 dollars a bad at lesco.