1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to seed near flower beds?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Curious Porpoise, Mar 8, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

when u guys broadcast grass seed, how do u prevent grass seed from getting into flower beds? do u guys get close to these areas using a drop spreader since it's more precise, and then just broadcast everything else?
  2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

lesco spreaders have a nice shield that you can put down when going around beds.. works really well..worth the investment.
  3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

My Spyker also has a shield to deflect seed and fert on borders and beds.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My Lesco spreader has the shield also and it keeps the seeds or fert out of the beds.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just keep 6-8 inches away from the bed then hand toss the borders. Plus I do the flowers so I plant so thick the rye doesn't stand a chance.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Had better luck making my own shields. seed will drop right down to the tire, so I can run the tire upto the very edge of the bed. Plus it give a little heavier coverage. Added benefit they work as a rain shield if you happen to be finishing up and its starts pouring Cost less than $2 and it last for a few yrs.