How To Sell A Service Agreement?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Oct 13, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

What is the best way to sell a service agreement. Here in Florida in the winter grass only needs to be cut every two weeks, do I still cut it every week under a service agreement.thanx
  2. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

We don't typically do contracts. However, we only cut the grass as needed. Clients,even commercial, are now only wanting to pay for "needed" cuts. Weekly in spring and fall, bi-weekly in summer. Unless a lot of rain or irrigation.
  3. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Then what is all this stuff about service agreements "its the standard". Even if you dont need to cut the grass thier are other things you can do.
  4. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

you do exactly what you just said. then you simply TELL them what you just said. what i do is if they pay year round then i charge them more a year but LESS for a monthly payment of 12 months.
  5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Figure out how many times a year that you will cut the grass. Multiply that by the rate you want per cut. Add in extras (hedgetrimming, roundup, etc.). Divide by 12. Make them pay that every month year round. Cut as needed, hopefully you'll end up near your estimate.
  6. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I do. First I ask what they are looking for in a lawn service. You must lesson first before you say anything. If they say they normally do it their selves then I stress the time we can save them and the appearance of a professionally maintained property. I let them know what we offer and what we can do to make their lawn a lot more enjoyable for them. When I walk the property I point weed (by name) to let the client know that I do know a little more then the average Joe.
    Once price comes up I take a min to add up the price of all the services they request for the year then divide the total by 12 months. This price is normally not far from what it would be if we serviced month to month. Some times its lower. I let them know that we will be on the property once per week during the growing season and bi-weekly during the slow season. Mind you, I have yet to mention a yearly contract.
    Once we agree on the price and the services then I mention the contract. Some times I have no problem getting the contract signed but some times I do. When I have problems I let them know how this contract benefits them. They know when I will be there, when and what will be done, they know what they are paying for and I have signed a contract to render these services at this price, ect. Then I tell them how it benefits my company.

Its going to be like win some you lose some. I have noticed that if you sell quality, stay professional, and appear confident then your chances of landing the account is more likely. Thats with or without a contract.

I hope this helps and good luck.
  7. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

hey thanx alot