1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to Sell Aerating and What to Charge.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 23, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

I live in Dayton, oh... What would you charge for aerating for a 1/4 acre yard?? Ive been told that Scott's charges about $80, but that was through hearsay (does this sound right to you?) I was thinking about charging $50 for my 1/4 acre lots..... also how much more would you charge for a 1/2 acre lot? am I too high or too low?

How do you sell aerating to your customers??
  2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well hold on to your hat. It's going to be a rough ride. First off I measure turf area. And our rate is between $8-$10 per thousand sf. We go over the area once with a ryan walk behind and do not leave gaps. Now there are people on LS that charge a h3ll of a lot more than that. I don't know if they are serious, double aerating, or rakin up the cores. 10,000sf yard will take me about 40 min. We have a lot of rental places and the aerating business has not been that good. On large lots we charge about $5 per/1000 and use the ryan pull behind. With this we overlap by 1/2 due to the large spacing of the tines. This is a rural area and prices are not high like the big metro areas. Best I can tell you is to verify prices in your area and compete, while still making a good profit. P.S. Don't use Trugreen as a benchmark because there prices are all over the board.

3. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

How do you measure turf area?????
  4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Length times Width is a good place to start. Subtract out structures if you want to.
  5. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Most pricing I see up here includes the footprint of the house. You get into more measuring then its worth. Get total sq/ft for the property and base the price on that. You have to go around the house so the house has to pay for being there lol.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never mowed or areated a house, i always subtract the house, but
    I like the idea of charging it for being in my way! :laugh:
  7. stumper1620

i use a laser range finder (from gander mountian) 75 bucks, stand on the corners, get the yardage & devide by 3 get all measurments and mutiply LxW=SQ FT.
  8. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I use a gps -- walkthe property -- have the sq feet in about 5 minutes -- I charge $10 - $15/1000 and NEver get turned down. During certain times of the year -- I could aerate all day everyday.
  9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Good idea with the range finder I never thought of that, never thought my range finder had more uses other then sighting in on deer.
  10. stumper1620

I take a drive way marker with me for the few that don't have something close to sight in on. stick it in the ground and walk to the other end to sight it in.
    i kinda like the GPS idea, just leary of the price. payup :D