How to sell excessive nursery trees

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by treebucker, Jan 4, 2007.

1. treebucker

treebucker LawnSite Member

I'm new!:waving:

My brothers are in over their heads on several acres of landscaping trees they have growing in the Fort Knox area. They are just weekend warriors and don't have the time to sell trees since they have other full-time jobs. :help: Most of what they have is Colorado and Norway spruce. But they also have Arbordale, maple, sweetgum, etc... Many of them are getting too big for their tree spade.

I told them I would put some feelers out and see what I could find out about selling them in bulk to a commercial operation. The camera has the wrong date in it. These were taken last October:
    Looking down one half:
    Then the other half:
    They are looking for someone to buy them that has their own equipment and can get in and out quick.

How do you calculate what they are worth wholesale? Where is the best place to market them?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You might check w/ a nursery to see if they might be interrested. Maybe even check w/ some of the larger landscapers in your area.
  3. IF you have the time there is a kentucky tennesse nursery show at the fairgrounds in louisville today and tommorrow, contact some of the nurserys there.
  4. treebucker

Thanks JB1,
    I checked the web site for that event. It's sold out and not open to the general public. Good idea but too late.

Carcrz, your idea is our fall-back position. I don't know if they have a buy/sell network that we could list them on so we could reduce the leg work and only deal with serious inquires?
  5. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested in talking with some one about the stock you have on hand, We a lot of work in the E-town, louisville and Fort Knox area. Please contact me with more info about quanities and availabilty. My Brother will be at the show tommorrow in lousiville maybe he can stop by sometime and check it out.
  6. treebucker

I have contacted one of my brothers and gave him the email address and phone number off of your web site. I'm not use to this site and didn't find a PM feature or your email address here. Anyway, if you have a better contact method you can contact him at He will try to meet with your brother tomorrow.
  7. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any numbers of product I have customers back their. That I could come and do it, I have a 28, 42, 65, and 90 in spade. What size of spade are you trying there. Hey Fordsuvparts what size of spades do you got?
  8. treebucker

Travel'n Trees,
    You can contact him at He has the info you are looking for. He will be checking his messages in the morning. If you don't have any luck post back here and I will get you another contact.

I'm sure there's enough to keep a crew busy for a good while just digging them. But I'm afraid to estimate the numbers. The pictures from the pasture field should give you an idea as to how long the lot is. I think there is maybe 10-12 rows of spruce?

Even though I've dug with the spade I've never measured it and am kinda out of the loop. My hobby is the sawmill.
  9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

have one huge auction and auction them off in bunches
  10. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

try Cents in columbus, OH on Jan. 22, 23, &24.

Go to for more info. There are litterally thousands of people there from all over Midwest.