how to set 23 hp kaw rpm's

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dbz007, Jul 12, 2006.

1. dbz007

dbz007 LawnSite Member

Anybody set their max rpm's on a 23 horse kaw? Do you have to first set hte minimum? How do you make sure its not the throttle cable causing the problem and not the rpm setting (however you change that.)
    I have heard a number of guys here say you should check and make sure your max rpm's are still at 3600, but i dont know exactly what to do. Dont wanna make a mistake and blow my engine up. Saw instructions for a 17 kaw from kawasaki's websight, but they dont show a 23.. maybe its the same? Any help is much appreciated.
    ps.. just picked up a tiny tach. Max is at about 3490-3510. Min is about 1780-1810. Thanks.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. dbz007

dbz007 LawnSite Member

hi thanks for the reply.. I have seen these pictures in my manuals, but my engine adjustments dont look the same. I am going to see if i can borrow my girlfriends camera and post them here for you to see. Hopefully tonight.

4. Restrorob

If you post the model and serial numbers I can look your engine up and see what it is.

5. dbz007

dbz007 LawnSite Member

hi sorry about the slow responses, i have been in an out lately. my engine is a 680v-as20, and looking over this picture again i see that it does cover all the AS engines, just the first one is the 17 hp kaw.\

Regarding the pictures, i think mine is the third one?? I have a Donaldson canister filter over my carb not the dual element filter it's showing in the second picture, so mine is a governed low rpm, so 1550?? I know mine has a governor, but dont all of them?

Obviously i have not had a lot of experience with engines, nor my mowers in the past. It was kind of an "i hope nothing goes wrong" mentality. Not the best state of mind for running a serious business, which is what i am now trying to do. Anyways thanks again for the help and i will try to stay more on top of this message board.

About the high Rpm link u gave me. My control panel does not look like this, and i dont know where to insert a "6mm pin" in mine, or do i even need to worry about this. I know i need to be careful w/ the high rpm adjustment so i dont blow my engine up.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lift up on the plate that the throttle, choke cables are attached to.Use a big screwdriver wrench etc.Of course it goes without saying,have a tach handy to measure the RPM'S correctly.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I believe you need to be sure that the throttle is set to the fastest before setting the plate. There are 2 10mm nuts you have to loosen then move the plate up....

8. dbz007

dbz007 LawnSite Member

Crap!! ok, so i went into my dealer to pick up my service manual for my hustler, which by the way does not really talk about this, being that its more engine specific. I'm sure it may come in handy later, like when i blow up my mower..

I did the low idle, which is just a screw on top of the carb. That was easy, once i had him show me exactly which screw i was turning. Then i did the high rpm w/ the plate adjustment after loosening the two mounting bolts. Now neither is working correctly. Now i get 4000 only, and no ability to control it w/ my throttle control, so i just shut it down after it ran like this for about 5 - 10 seconds.

I know it can be dangerous to run it over the specified rpm's, so what now? Is it the governor. Did i break a link somewhere (none that i can see). I really would like to fix this myself after spending all this time. WTF??!!?? The low idle adjustment screw is now not even effected by the little lever that used to come up and hit it, because it no longer returns that far to hit the screw. It doesn't even move.

9. dbz007

dbz007 LawnSite Member

Been messin w/ it for a while, and it just wants to go wide open now, w/ no control at all. I'm thinking governor, but since i didn't know where the low idle set screw was before today, i could be wrong. Any ideas?

10. Restrorob

Sounds like you may have went too far with the plate. The pic. below shows the hole you want to put a pin in with the throttle at wide open position, Then loosen the two 6mm screws just enough to move the plate. Then start the engine and move the plate while watching your tach., When you reach the RPM you want tighten the two 6mm screws remove the pin and you should be good to go.

FH Throttle plate.jpg