How to set lesco spreader setting?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PTOhioMower, Jul 9, 2006.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I just bought a used lesco spreader with 80 lb hopper. I think it is just a year old. The old owner just used it for salting ice and no longer needed it so i got it cheap. So I bought a bag of lesco fert, 24-2-11, and it says to use the calibration gauge #15. The spreader has 2 plastic "gauge feelers" and also has the dial settings. I think there is a number 15 setting on the dial, but is that different than the "calibration gauge #15"?

Thanks for your help.

PS. I only fert my own lawn, so dont flame me.:)

2. PTOhioMower

Ok, I found the manual online. But now I have a question about the 3rd hole. Is it suppose to stay open or closed?? The manual says says nothing about this.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ignore the numbers on the back of the hopper and use the gagues only. I try to use the center hole, as i notice a slight variation between the 3 holes on their hole opening. Once you have your openings set at the number you need you can use the numbers on the hopper as a refrence, say if you need to open it all the way up to clear a clog quick, then you can zip it back to where it was easy and continue on.

4. Jason Rose

you can close it for going around the edges, running a band around the very edge ensures you get double coverage over the whole lawn, if you don't the edges really only get single coverage.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Set your spreader so the "holes" are about halfway open". Tou should be fine.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It needs to be more accurate then that. Just check with your local lesco dealer and have him help ya!!!:)

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Please tell me this is not how you calibrate your spreader...

8. Jason Rose

LOL, on the older lescos that had letters instead of the numbers it was "set it on G for Green"!

9. PTOhioMower

Dont worry guys, Im no fert pro. But I think even I know to pass on this "advice".

But a little bit more info on the third hole would be great!

10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

That has been a question of man for as long as woman has been around!!! Soory, HAD to say that!!!:laugh: