How to Sharpen Blades..Echo Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scagguy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone know the best way to sharpen blades on an Echo HC150 ? I ahd heard that you could tighten them up and spray some graphite oil on, then run it for a couple of minutes or so. I'm not sure if I buy that theroy or not.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I have use a 1/4" carbide bit in a die grinder. I have sharpened a number of them in a shop envoirnment and you can do a decent job after you get the knack of it.

Dutch

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 4" angle grinder with sandpaper pad. I take the cap off the gear box so I can rotate the blades into position to sharpen both sides.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long that they cut good, I don't sharpen squat.
    It is so that I have never in 5 years sharpened my Stihl hedge trimmer blades.
    It's not out of laziness, but I THINK they're self-sharpening.

I do spray them lightly with wd-40 after every use, and they are still very sharp.

5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

:hammerhead: Fluid Film! Use Fluid Film! :hammerhead: :laugh:

6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

In my shop I use an air die grinder with a thin cut off wheel this does the best job IMHO, The blades are not self sharpening on any commercial hedge trimmer that I am aware of and the sharper the blade the less effort and stress on the blades and gear case, so keep'em sharp! I have to agree with Dano use fluid film it will not harm the hedge like WD40.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks to all that have answered. I think that I may go with the sandpaper and fluid film.

8. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

Can i sharpen the blades while still attached to the head unit? Or is it a lot easier to take the two blades off and use a die grinder?

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Leave the baldes on the machine.

I use an air cut off wheel and just dress them as much as nessecary! (its never usually much)

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Leave them on and take off the gear case top so you can rotate the blade into position, and grease the gears at the same time as needed.