How to sharpen hedge trimmers, hand equipment!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Sep 13, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys sharpen your hedge trimmer attachments? I haven't sharpened my hedge trimmer since I first bought it six months ago. I was wondering how you get into the teeth and if there's a certain way to sharpen it!

Just as well as your shovels, manual hedge shears! Do I need to go and buy a $20 sharpening kit and just sharpen it going downwards at a 45 degree angle??

;) ;) ;)
  2. alpine692003

Would you guys use a bastard file and a regular file where you could find at like HOME DEPOT or CANADIAN TIRE to use to sharpen your manual equipment? and then an angle grinder for your hedge trimmer teeths?
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I saw at home depot a dremel attachment with a stone and
    looks like a 45 degree guide that attaches to the end. $ Eightbucks for the stone and guide. The guide also fit the Black & Decker power unit which was only $39.00 dollars. Replacement stones $2.99. Supposed to do mower blades also.
    Anybody use the dremel attachment?
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I got the dremal attachment a few weeks ago and haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping to this weekend.
  5. alpine692003

I just bought a DeWalt Angle Grinder.. Boy, am I glad I bought this :)

Thisi s what I'm using to sharpen my lawn mower blades, hedge trimmers, and hand equipment ie) loppers, hedge shears, shovels..
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I see the need for replacement blades on hedge trimmers lopper, hedge shears, :D shovels???
    Angle Grinder :dizzy: mower blades only :D

alpine692003 likes this.
  7. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Dremel Tool. Works Great!
  8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

You must have more money than Donald Trump Alpine. You are going to kill you hedge blades quick.Last time I checked blades for my shinny were $350. I use a dremal with a regular stone on it.And do not take to much off If you read the owners manual,it says the more important thing is to keep the bolts that hold the blades together at the proper tighten the bolts till you can just turn the washers with your finger nail.Hope this makes sence DON'T USE THE GRINDER.
  9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a file on my hedge trimmer to take the rolled edge off each of the blades but would never use an angle grinder on something that needs such precision. I do it very carefully one small edge at a time and it only takes about 15 minutes total. Not too bad.
  10. alpine692003

Ya, I'll think I'll use the file on the hedge trimmers.. I was considering using the angle grinder but then said, Its a MEAN MACHINE for the hedge trimmers..

Oh well.. I'll take my time and file the hedge trimmers..