1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to sharpen your mower blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Jun 26, 2001.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I've been using a simple file and sometimes a bench-mounted grinder. Is there other easier, faster ways?

Thank You,

Steve Parsons

2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Steve,

I would recommend a dedicated rotary blade grinder (RBG). I picked one up several weeks back, due to recommendations on this Board, and it's a thing of beauty.

Do a Search on Blade Sharpening for more information!

-TGC

3. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

There are a few ways to sharpen mower blades.

1) Drill attachment either on or off the mower.
    2) Belt sander
    3) File
    4) Sharpening stone(s)

I have always felt that if the blade just needs touching up, then you can do this on the machine. But, if the blade has many deep knicks, twists, etc. then it is best to remove blade, sharpen, and then balance.

I prefer to have an extra set of blades so that I can just switch them and continue to run.

The blade edge is something I've heard differing opinions on. Some appear to like a razor edge, claiming that they can cut faster, and the grass looks better. Granted, the edge does seem to go away faster. Others prefer, what I like to call the scissor edge. I've seen some people who will use the razor edge blades on one type of lawn and grass and then switch blades for other types.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i totally agree with previous post. i will say this if you cutting with a fast ztr,you need as sharp as you can get it.

5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

4 ½" Craftsman Pro. angle grinder, the only complaint I have is it heats up the blades really quickly with about 10,000 RPMs.

6. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we use a 4 1/2 angle grinder, I wish I had the 9" industrial dewalt grinder that a big shop here uses. 2 licks and that baby is sharp. alot of folks here use the rbg or magnamatic. good luck... Dave g

8. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i have been looking for a dedicated blade sharpener, i am sick of using the competion's (used to work for him). I was wondering if anyone has other brands other than magna-matic, and if its any cheaper than about $550. I think thats alot, but i guess so is everything else. thats why we charge alot.

thanks

9. I'm with the people who use the 4 1/2" grinder. I have a 9" Milwaukee hand held grinder but it's too hard to control. Every bench mounted grinder I've ever tried just turned the blade blue. If they're blue, you're loosing the temper of the blade.
    I mounted a vise a little lower than my waist. I wear goggles and an apron. Hold the grinder with two hands with arms propped against my body for stability. Position the blade so you can send a rooster tail of sparks to the ceiling. Keep the grinder moving side to side. The blade should come out silver, right down to the cutting edge. Balance it with a $2 cone-on-a-stick type balancer. Only sharpen one side. Grind until you see no sign of wear on the bottom of the blade. That shiny surface on the bottom should be completely gone. Follow the rounded off contour right around the edge. If you get the edge perfect, but it's not balanced, grind a little off of the back edge.
    It's fast, inexpensive and gives a very good edge. Practice on some old blades. You'll get the hang of it.
    Dave

10. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I take mine to a local small eng repair guy he charges 5 to sharpen and balance on a blade sharpener it works for me those machines are to high for me to justifie buying one right now.