1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to speed up time of picking up leaves from pruning shrubs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

When I prune shrubs a lot of leaves tend to fall off and that might be typical. I have tried several methods to quickly remove the leaves such as racking them up slowly and/or mildly blowing them out and using hand. Are there other techniques I can use to speed up time doing that. And is the goal to pick up every single falling leave or just the majority.

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

TARPS! I make my guys use them on all shrub jobs.

3. I blow clippings in the grass and mulch them with my mower....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Tried that! got complaints from customers about too many clippings left in beds, also end up blowing too much mulch or pine straw out, so I made the call to go to tarps, customers are happier and I'm happier.

5. Yea, if you have pine straw, it won't work. A lot of places here typically mulch 2x/yr so it doesn't matter as much regarding that.
    Or, the beds are all dirt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing I didn't try yet is a tarp but it seems like it would be best way to do it.

wrap the flower bed in tarps go to town on the shrub and peel tarp ! off you go to the next job. :D

7. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

some bed are bigger and smaller. Do you use different size tarps or small ones and prune as you go?

8. riverjunkie

riverjunkie LawnSite Member

Tarps rock! I use at least three. two to wrap around each side of the bottom and one larger one placed on the lawn to dump the debris in as I go. When it gets alot on it I drag it to the trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I used my Billy Goat lawn vac to pick up the leaves after I'm done trimming bush!

10. riverjunkie

riverjunkie LawnSite Member

do you use the hose to get in the beds? I was curious to how much suction those generate with the hose option?
    Posted via Mobile Device