How to speed up time of picking up leaves from pruning shrubs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kebrowns, Jul 22, 2012.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I use old bath towels. the leaves cling to them so you don't lose as many when picked up compared to plastic tarps. Pick the towels up and shake into a lined trash barrel.

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Mine does not have a hose. I can raise the height of the vacuum so it doesn't suck up rocks or mulch. The suction is pretty good on it. I like using it.

3. kebrowns

kebrowns LawnSite Member

did you get pre-cut tarps and from were.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I take one or both tubes off my backpack blower and blow them out. By taking the tubes off you have a much more dispersed stream of air so you can give it more throttle. I have used tarps and drop cloths before but generally only use them when cutting ornamental grasses now.

You can also use a shredder vac...but you have to learn where that fine line is with throttle and the distance of the vac tube to the mulch so that you're picking up leaves but not mulch...the mulch can get lodged between the impeller and housing if you suck it up.

5. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly! Same here.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I prefer canvas drop cloths (for painting) and find that the 4'x12' ones are well suited for both long stretches of hedges as well as "wrapping" around smaller shrubs.

They also don't blow around much like those cheap plastic tarps do.

Old sheets and tablecloths come in handy as well.

I get my drop cloths at Harbor Freight for around $6. That's about half the cost of the same size cloth at Home Depot.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you guys find yourself tripping on your tarps/cloths? I just don't like having them under foot. Or I I just too clumsy to handle it? lol

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It depends. If laying flat - no issues. If on a contoured surface where you can't get it to lay completely flat - yeah, sometimes.

I use them when it benefits me to do so. Otherwise, just rake, or blow the clippings.

9. pollak1322

pollak1322 LawnSite Member

I use my 20'x20' tarp folded in half and zip tied together. I find that the full size is to big and bulky to be dragging around and blows everywhere. plus by doubling it over it doesnt rip as fast when dragging it around loaded.

Right before beginning to trim I lay the tarp out under the hedge or bush or whatever and go to town having all the clipping fall to the tarp, when I've trimmed as far down as the tarp goes I drag it down to the next section and so on and so forth. It doesnt collect every single leaf and stick, but by doing this then going back and raking, then going back for a final blow I get usually get 99% of the debris

10. tr_developments

tr_developments LawnSite Member

Some tarps are available which are pre-fitted with a notch in the middle, which adjusts to the bush or shrub you are pruning. I've had as much success, however, with tarps and as I have had with a newer Stihl handheld shredder / vac (definitely works, but difficult to keep from taking up mulch). Often times, when you take back the tarp, you still have to hand-trim some of the shrub depending on how close to the ground it is. Now matter the approach, there is usually no way to keep an area perfectly spotless, especially depending on what it might be that you are pruning (for landscapers, it may change on a daily basis).

Good luck. Check out the handheld shredder / vacs for sure.

Tony