How to start out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by unlimted01, Oct 4, 2005.

1. unlimted01

unlimted01 LawnSite Member

HI
    Im new to the lawn bussiness and have been in actual bussiness for about 3 months. I currently have 2 accounts. 1 residental and 1 commerical. Both jobs furinsh their own equipment all i have to do is show up. How should i go about increaseing my customers. i do have a lawnmower that i can use nothing fancy, 48" craftsman. I Plan on buying somestart up equipment asap what should i buy also. Also i will be working around a highschool schedule how many yards are a manageable number. :help: any help would be appreciated. http://www.lawnsite.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=58#
    Help

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

legally you have to have liability insurance, have your business registered with the state, and some counties and or cities, and be of legal age to sign a contract.

Pay taxes on the income and have a bank account in your business name.

Why don't you get some residential accounts you can do with the mower you have, save up and buy a commercial walkbehind and grow form there....maybe even get an adult to help you and get insurance.... something flies from your mower and blinds someone..... your parents will loose everything they have from being sued.....

3. unlimted01

i saw a 17 yo on here the other that said that had started up leaglly so y cant i do it

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Incorrect!!

Show me the law where it states liability insurance is mandatory. Highly recommended and foolish not to have it, yes, but you don't have to have it to be "legal".

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

for commercial jobs you have to have insurance,,,,, you must not have any....and if they arent asking for proof of insurance, they are using you as a cheap fly by night outfit and keeping it off of there books.....

if the 17 year old was legal, he had to get his parents or another adult involved for the time being until you turn 18

there are 30 year old men here how have had a hard time getting insurance with a new startup business....they want a certain amount of experience before they will insure you

and not having your own equipment is not owning a business, they have hired you to be the lawnboy.....

6. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

UNLIMITED01, I began when I was in high school. At one point in time I was doing 6 or 7 lawns (residential) during high school. I would do half one night after school and half the next night. I guess if you never had homework, you could take on over ten.

7. unlimted01

Thanks ryan at least u r giving me a chance and not being a ahole some others here

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No schitt, I really don't care for the @$$hole attitudes, either.
    Guy asks a simple question: How do I increase my customer base?

What's the answer?

Hey man, why not try and put out some flyers, 200 or so for every customer you wish to add.

There you go, nobody asked about licensing and insurance, big bully.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No schitt, guy asks a simple question: How do I increase my customer base?

What's the answer?

Hey man, why not try and put out some flyers, 200 or so for every customer you wish to add.

There you go, sir.

10. unlimted01

THank u for ure help one more question should i post few flyer in public places,I.E. resurants, gas stations or go house to house