how to start small nursery?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by backtobasicslawncare, May 26, 2007.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

im thinking about getting a small greenhouse and im looking at buying some soil pots. i think about selling vegetable and flowers someday.

when do i need to buy or look at?

2. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

please i still need help on. i want to sell flowers and want to hear how should i start small? whats a good way to still start me a small greenhouse?

thanks
    mike

3. theres a show next week in louisville , here is a link, it might help you out.
    WWW.MSHE.ORG

4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

there is also a book on Nursery management. It's pricey but covers ALOOOOOT.

5. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

haha whats the name of the book =P

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

and author ?

7. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

This might be the book he is talking about - Nursery Management: Administration and Culture (4th Edition) - Harold Davidson. Search in amazon you'll find it. He's right though it is expensive but in return very good info. If you just want a smaller cheaper book try this one (also on amazon). So You Want to Start a Nursery by Tony Avent. I would get this one and read it and go from there.

Keep in mind starting a "Nursery" is MUCH HARDER than people think. Most growers now have a lot of mechanicalized machinery not to mention how expensive it is. They know there cost down to penny's (especially in growing annuals/perennials).

But I am sure you are talking about just doing it a side venture am I correct? Maybe grow for you own needs and sell whatever you can't use?

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

That would be the book. Its to bad i sold it back to the bookstore, I would have given you a heck of a deal on it!! :)