1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how to start small nursery?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by backtobasicslawncare, May 26, 2007.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

im thinking about getting a small greenhouse and im looking at buying some soil pots. i think about selling vegetable and flowers someday.

when do i need to buy or look at?

2. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

please i still need help on. i want to sell flowers and want to hear how should i start small? whats a good way to still start me a small greenhouse?

thanks
    mike

3. theres a show next week in louisville , here is a link, it might help you out.
    WWW.MSHE.ORG

4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

there is also a book on Nursery management. It's pricey but covers ALOOOOOT.

5. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

haha whats the name of the book =P

6. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

and author ?

7. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

This might be the book he is talking about - Nursery Management: Administration and Culture (4th Edition) - Harold Davidson. Search in amazon you'll find it. He's right though it is expensive but in return very good info. If you just want a smaller cheaper book try this one (also on amazon). So You Want to Start a Nursery by Tony Avent. I would get this one and read it and go from there.

Keep in mind starting a "Nursery" is MUCH HARDER than people think. Most growers now have a lot of mechanicalized machinery not to mention how expensive it is. They know there cost down to penny's (especially in growing annuals/perennials).

But I am sure you are talking about just doing it a side venture am I correct? Maybe grow for you own needs and sell whatever you can't use?

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

That would be the book. Its to bad i sold it back to the bookstore, I would have given you a heck of a deal on it!! :)