How to start up a lawncare biz? (correctly)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpudsM15, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Guys if I were to offer complete lawn service, what licences would I need to have? Also if i were to put down fert. I'm sure I need somethign for that. Also should I get a lawyer and accountant.

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you will need to get a pesticide lic. in new jersey. Talk to the NJDEP, 609-530-4070, they can answer your questions on that. You will need business liabilty insurance to cover you on other peoples properties. this can cost anywhere from $500 to $1000 per year, depending on the coverage.
    As far as i know the state of New Jersey doesn't require a license for landscape contractors. however you will have to check with the local towns and cities you will be working in.
    You should register your trade name with the county clerks office, exspecially if you want to open a business checking account.
    As for laywers and accountants? I would stay as far away from them for as long as you can.
    I hope this helps and I'm sure other guys will post anything i might have missed.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Invest in an hour with a good biz attorney...it's worth it...believe me.

4. First need to find a biz plan like rodfather suggested.

Then liability ins. runs off payroll percentages and what you want for coverage.

Min. could be $350 to the sky.

The rest the guy 2 posts up did good on.

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If there is a SCORE in your town in Chattanooga there is one it's retired co. ex. owners and they will help you. there is no charge for this service.

6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Read some literature on pricing, you will find it here and other places on the net.....the worst thing is to find you left money on the table. Contracts are also worth looking into, makes you more professional, and believable as a startup.

7. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Hit up your rich uncle for startup capital so you can get all the top equipment and vehicles right off the bat. I swear there are more than a couple of my competitors who've been able to do that. Nice shiny trucks, new riding mowers, fancy trailers, etc...

I"m just tired and venting a little. Seriously, spend a week searching through the posts from this site and learn to avoid the mistakes the rest of us made starting out. Wish I'd had access to this site 11 years ago...

8. Wasuellc

Wasuellc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Try going to Lesco, and talking with the guys. Jim, Larry and Bruce are very helpful. Feel free to E-mail me with any questions.
    Wayne

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok well I'm only 18 I've been cutting grass since I was 8 and I guesss you could say I started to try to make this a real biz this season. I bought myself a nice lil truck and a trailor. I got good blowers and trimmers. All I really need now is a good lawnmower i'm debating between exmark and hustlers. Now all I need to do is run some numbers i guess.
    Anyways thanks guys for the good info and advise

10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Check with your state's department of Agriculture. SCORE, SBA, and your local SBDC can help as well as a small business attorney. Like mentioned above, well worth the money to make sure you are set up properly and legitimately.