How to start?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Branchland, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Can anybody recommed a good book for starting a nursurey? I'm just wanting to start growing a few differant type trees and shrubs. Mainly just to practice and see what happens.
  2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Read "So You Want to Start a Nursery?" by Tony Avent. Not to dissuade you, but it IS a cautionary tale!
  3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check that book out. I'm wanting to know how to acually start a plant from scratch, or from a clipping.
  4. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

A good book on plant propagation.......

"The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation" by Alan Toogood
    and 2 more that I can't think of right at the moment. Check out Amazon and search for Plant Propagation
  5. jhgilliland

jhgilliland LawnSite Member

Check Out: The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture: A Practical Working Guide to the Propagation of over 1100 Species - Michael A. Dirr, Charles W., Jr. Heuser, Bonnie L. Dirr (Illustrator), Charles W. Heuser Jr (Contributor) - 1987

My professor at Penn State co-authored it. He is very knowledgeable and the book should be able to help you alot
  6. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Yes, this is one of the two that I was thinking about, and the other "Plant Propogation:principles and Practices by Hartmann, Kester, Davies,Geneve". New this book with the CD will run about $100, so you might try to find a used version with the CD.