1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to start?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Branchland, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Can anybody recommed a good book for starting a nursurey? I'm just wanting to start growing a few differant type trees and shrubs. Mainly just to practice and see what happens.

2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Read "So You Want to Start a Nursery?" by Tony Avent. Not to dissuade you, but it IS a cautionary tale!

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check that book out. I'm wanting to know how to acually start a plant from scratch, or from a clipping.

4. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

A good book on plant propagation.......

"The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation" by Alan Toogood
    and 2 more that I can't think of right at the moment. Check out Amazon and search for Plant Propagation

5. jhgilliland

jhgilliland LawnSite Member

Check Out: The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture: A Practical Working Guide to the Propagation of over 1100 Species - Michael A. Dirr, Charles W., Jr. Heuser, Bonnie L. Dirr (Illustrator), Charles W. Heuser Jr (Contributor) - 1987

My professor at Penn State co-authored it. He is very knowledgeable and the book should be able to help you alot

6. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Yes, this is one of the two that I was thinking about, and the other "Plant Propogation:principles and Practices by Hartmann, Kester, Davies,Geneve". New this book with the CD will run about $100, so you might try to find a used version with the CD.