how to start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by born2farm, Jan 20, 2008.

1. born2farm

born2farm LawnSite Bronze Member

ok guys, i know this has been brought up before but I havnt been able to find all the information i need. my current situation is, i am only 15 years old and currently will be mowing around 10 or so yards. i have bought all my own equipment and im looking to expand. in 2009 I will be able to drive and im planning on getting a truck and a trailer. i know that in a recent thread there was a lot of conversation raised over someone at my age trying to get legal. what do i need to do or what can i do to be legal. i know i will have to file taxes if i make of $3300 but do i need a special license to put my name and number on the side of my truck and mow?

any help is appriciated.

if you have any other info that you dont want to post please email or PM me.

2. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Ask this question in the Ohio thread: They can answer best about ODOT. And then it's on you to follow up with DOT to confirm.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=178302

3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Since your 15, you will not be able to get the name registered in your name and will not be able to get a business license. Only way for you to make it legal is if your dad or mom goes in with you.

4. born2farm

ok...so if i get a license and stuff under my mom/dad's name can i get it transferd to me at 18. so do i need this just to put my own name on the side of my truck and mow yards?
    who would i go about contacting for the specifics for my area?

5. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Born2farm,
    I see you asked this question in the Ohio thread, good call because someone not from Ohio might give wrong advise on this specific info your asking for. You can also check with the Town Hall in Cardingtion.

6. born2farm

ya im gonna look into some local stuff...does anyone know any basic penaltys if i dont have a buisness license?...im planning on fileing for taxes if i earn enough and im talking to my parents about licensing.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, your asking alot of people, many of whom really dont know. go to your town hall and ask them. but for right now, your 15. i dont think the IRS is going to come after you. if your 18 and making some $, then look out.