How to step a side

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Nov 22, 2005.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

The more I run the numbers, the more I see for me to not work in the field, the business will loose money for a while. I have stayed embarrassingly small due to College classes and yet I have worked pretty hard at the business.

But, running things solo like I do, 36,000 net looks like the ceiling for solo and this would be busting tail not slacking for school. What am I doing wrong? What I am trying to get at is this. When you reach that point that you finally make 40,000 solo( after all expenses) how do you transition to hiring a worker. How will they happy busting tail like you did for 1/2 the cash. Also, how do you find someone who will be careful with equipment like it was there own? Is it worth it? How did you feel when you handed them the keys and said go do it? It just seems so risky.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have never had an employees but from reading different posts on this site it seems that finding someone that cares as much as you do about the work and equipment is one of the hardest aspects of running the business. You have to interview thoroughly and choose carefully the person that is best out of your applicants. Just my .02

3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

well at first if i was going to hire someone on they would start out part time and not going out alone.once you gain more accounts then you give him more work.the purpose for him now is to do the work you have now in less time.then you can get more work to make more money

4. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

I'd say you would want to work with this person as much as possible first before handing him/her anything. I would never hire someone and give them the keys. I'd slowly step away after a period of time and devote more responsibility and a higher rate of pay as things progressed. As for the net, I'm solo, and this year it will be closer to 45,000.00. After you get your equipment supply up, and keep things in great working order, your overhead should go down. Also, don't forget, that truck payment is already paid by the business, the gas is already paid, and your insurance is already paid. Not to mention your work boots, some good meals, cash payments from customers, ect. Those things add up to a lot higher net in my book.