How to stop a hose from constantly kinking up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RCA, Mar 10, 2007.

1. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Bought a used spray rig that has two hose reels with clear hose. The hose is old and has several spots where it constantly kinks up. So I have to constantly keep spinning my hose back and forth to unkink my hose. Otherwise, my chemlawn gun will stop spraying. This happens about 50 times a day... I'm going to buy all new hose as soon as I finish Rounds 1 and 2 but I need help with a temporary soloution. Should I try and duct tape the hose in those spots to get me by. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. ccash

ccash Banned

i put a swivel up buy the gun in mine

3. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

Please don't try this at home kids!!!!!:nono: The hose that you are using is a lighter hose than most people use, I also use this hose on one of my reels. You will appreciate this hose after dragging the heavy hose around all day;However, It does tend to kink a bit more than the others. you don't want to drag a hose all over your customers place with leaks popping out every where. This is an expensive business to be in if you don't wach out, also the dept of Ag. was out at my place last week inspecting our equipment and paper work, I also work in your area so please watch yourself. The duct tape is a bad idea. Call Graham Lawn Equipment in Douglasville and they will hook you up with a new one. I have a brand new yellow hose that needs a new end put on it, I changed it out for the clear one last year.(500') Please don't use the old one you might end up wearing what you are spraying!!:dizzy:

4. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I like the swivel idea!!!!!

5. ccash

ccash Banned

yeah but you can still get the swivel that they make for it.

6. ccash

ccash Banned

i wish i came up with it but i saw it from a weed man.

7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I love that hose, you can literally run with it off the truck for all 500', but that's the downside to it, once it gets that kink in it, it's there to stay. Get a hose barb, cut the kink out and reconnect it as if it were split in the first place. If you use hose clamps, tape the heck out of them so you don't cut yourself reeling the hose in, or use band-it clamps (tape those, too). For a few bucks, you can get by just fine. P.S., a new hose'll do the same thing and it's worse in cold weather. Even though I recommend you get a new hose, I don't want you to be disappointed thinking all your problems will disappear.

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I used that hose several years ago, its cheaper to buy but in the long run I think its less expensive to buy the heavy duty 600 psi hose. every kink is a potential hose leak! and then when you fix it with hose barb and clamps it seems to get hooked on every fence or tree trunk. get the 3/8 hose and its easier to pull and will last several years, I think its less than .50 per ft.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

What I like, is you get 1/2" volume out of 3/8" weight hose. It seems like 3/8", for all it's strengths, just struggles over 1 1/4- 1 1/2 gpm.

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You hit the nail on the head there Marc. I love the ease with which you can pull 3/8" hose across lawns, but I hate the fact that you can't use liquid ferts, because that small hose won't flow enough GPM's to allow you to spray ferts. You can't spray liquid ferts when you're having a hard time applying more than 1 1/2 to 2 GPM of solution. That wouldn't be enough water.

I'd love to be able to spray liquid fertilizer when I'm out doing blanket apps. That would save me from having to go back over the whole lawn again with my spreader. Oh well. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you have a ride-on spreader.