How to stop a hose from constantly kinking up?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RCA, Mar 10, 2007.

1. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Get new hose
  2. HoseJockey

HoseJockey LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

When you get your new hose, make sure to put a swivel at the gun. Also, to keep the new one from kinking, when your spraying and your hose gets hung on something don't yank it. That will cause it to kink every time. You will need to walk back to where you got hung up and get it unhung. I call it "training your hose" when I used that type. After about two weeks or so of doing this your new hose will slide around most anything.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i went to 3/8 hose after using 1/2. man what a difference. i spray liquid fert/weed/fungi/pre-m out of it at 2gpm. the 2gpm is the most i've been able to get, and thats at about 60psi. any higher psi and it smoked my lawn gun ($15 repair kit)
  4. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

It's been years. but I remember a tech. showed me that the way you turn around at the end of a pass across the lawn reduces the kinking.

I can't remember which way.

Just throwing it out for concideration.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Always turn to the Right.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Kinks are a fact of life. But you can reduce the problem somewhat by buying better hose. Click Gregson Clark above--they probably have it. And try to spray in warm weather when it is more flexible.
    But seriously, you must constantly look behind you. Never let the hose get twisted more than one turn. Always try to keep the hose laying flat behind you without any twisted coils. Just spin around and step over hose to remove an excess coiled kink. When you go back to truck--look behind you and spin around to remove any twist before trying to reel up the hose. Drop the gun about 20 feet from the truck and it will uncoil itself--most of the time.

I use a "hose guide" held in my hand to protect it, as I guide the hose into a neat coil. I cut the guide out from a 1 qt oil can. Hard plastic--lasts for months.
  7. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, Don't drop the gun at the curb and straddle the hose when you're reeling in. It'll ruin your day! Great idea with the oil can. It's a lot cheaper than a new pair of boots or new gloves all the time from wearing them out on hose and cheaper than buying the steel one from Westheffer, too.
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A Damp Cloth works fine for me and cleans the hose at the same time I rewind. Cleaning the Hose will help save your reel and other parts from rust. The Oil Bottle seems like too much trouble for a system that isn't as good as the cleaning action of a simple piece of damp Cloth held in ones hand while guiding the hose.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use a rag to wind up the hose like ric said cleans off the hose
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

With a little common sense you can make life so much easier. :D