How to stop birds from eating for free

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by treykam, Mar 13, 2001.

1. treykam

treykam LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    How to keep birds from eat my grass seed that i put on turf? HELP i'm new

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

With a 12 gauge shotgun, 1,000 rounds of ammo, and plenty of free time. :) :)
    Just joshing with ya.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

try a scare crow. just mesisng with ya

4. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

If you are putting it on fresh topsoil try turning a leaf rake upside down and draging it across the seed lightly.
    The only other way I know of is a slit seeder but then you a talking some money.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Did you just throw the seed on the ground or did you cover it. Seed on the ground is birdseed. If you cover it with a 1/4 to 1/2 of dirt its bound to become grass. If you cover it with straw too you'll also increase your chances. Otherwise go get 10 cats and tie them up around the lot.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

Otherwise go get 10 cats and tie them up around the lot. [/B][/QUOTE]

ohh my, i'm in tears thats so funny. thats the funniest thing i heard in so long. could you imagine driving by someone's yard with 10 cats tied around it

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

You might try aereating after putting out seed.
    Go over it quite a bit.Youll find most of its under.
    Course that dont mean birds wont scratch it up.
    If a starling finds it ,he ll call the flock.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it was a new install on loose soil, I would put on my JRCo rake/dethatcher and it would work some of the seed into the ground and the striping kit behind, ends up lightly dragging loosed dirt over the seed even more. Behind all of this I pull a partially filled with water, roller to push even more seed into the soil.

On overseeding, I just went over the lawn an let the striping kit break up and help cover the cores from aerating it first before seeding. I tryed this out last fall and it worked nice. The germination percentage rate was great.

Maybe this will give you some ideas. This area where I did this, is loaded with birds.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Cover with tobacco netting after seeding. The grass will grow thru the netting, and it will be almost gone by fall. That is, if you use the cotton and not the nylon.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Fake snakes?