How to stop dogs digging a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stuie, Apr 23, 2005.

1. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Ok have a customer whose two beagles are mining her lawn.I suggested training :rolleyes: or spraying a repellent (DTER)
    Any other suggestions like reinforcing the turf with mats underneath ???
    THANKS
    STUART

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

My dog quit digging in the yard after a proper application of steel toed boots :eek:

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

My dog stopped digging after I applied some mouse traps to a re filled hole.
    I was there when he started digging... snap, a quick yelp, and a flying mouse trap. No injury, just imediate response.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I guess it depends on who's yard it is. If the dog is digging in my yard I would likely opt for to give the dog a velocitor to the temple. If it is a customer I might try some of the pepper sprays that keep certain mammals from eating on your plants. I have never tried this, but it might be offensive enough to the dog that he may not stick his nose close enough to the grass to dig. He may be prone to dig certain areas and that is where I would try it first. Dog's like to sniff before doing their business so I would not not put it on the whole yard. Might not work at all, but it is a thought.

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Give the dog a place where he's allowed to dig.

6. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I have recommended my customers to put some of their poop (dog) back in the hole cover it back with dirt, they will not dig there again. It is worth a try.

7. BALDEAGLE

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

thought about that for my own critters...seems logical.

8. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We tried the poop idea with our dog and it worked like a charm.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep, dog poo!

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dogs will often dig because they are bored and have nothing better to do. Tell the owners to play with their dogs and pay some attention to them. Some type of deterrent might help too. Some dogs are true knuckleheads and may require the boot up their arse, though.