How to stop grass catching VX4 deck chute?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by greenology, Jun 14, 2013.

1. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, took this video of the grass clippings coming out the chute of a Hustler VX4 60" deck. It appears this is where the grass is building or one of the areas grass is building and creating clumps. Be good to hear what you think after seeing it, really need to watch it in HD to see whats happening.

Sorry for the bad filming, was difficult to hold camera still.

http://youtu.be/YI8wAMr2obE

2. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

I've been following this topic for a while now. Mickhippy and another user on here are having the same problems. It sounds like its just a flaw in the deck design. The thread isn't far down on the list. There is a lot of good info in it regarding this issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. greenology

I've posted a fair bit on this issue myself, been spending some time lately trying to fix whatever it is causing the clumping, I just thought I might get some more insight after ppl have seen this video of what appears to be the problem area.

Cheers

4. CurbAppealKS

CurbAppealKS LawnSite Senior Member

I wish hustler would figure this out. I like my older super z, but I'm scared of the new one based on this problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

greenology is the other user.;)

6. greenology

You & I both! I'm sure they'd have it sorted pretty quickly if they were to put their resources into it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

green-
    you actually caught a good shot of it in this video-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT8vGj90dkk you can see the clump build up, then drop away pretty good right at the 13-15 second area of the video.

8. greenology

Glad u saw the others. As Mick has always said the grass is getting caught up in this area, but how to stop it ? I just thought I'd see what tips others may have to prevent grass getting caught here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

There definitely needs to be some sort of vertical edge there instead of that angled one, and it needs to be bozed in differently. It also needs a turbo baffle very close in design to the Exmark UC turbo baffle.

10. greenology

Thanks mate. You wouldn't happen to have an image of an exmark TB? I did a quick search on google images but didn't look too far. I've been considering making a TB similar to the gravely. Just trying other options firstly before cutting the deck.