How to stop mowers from sliding around on the trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Supper Grassy, May 30, 2008.

1. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I agree rachets are the way to go!!

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

E-tracks are very nice and versatile allowing you to secure just about anything. I was going to get them but the cost was alittle more then the budget would allow at this time. I might still get them in the future.

3. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

This is an older thread, but what i use for my scag is blocks. Like what used to be a square piece of wood, we cut it in half and slide it under the tires. also tie downs work

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

technically this is against the law. DOT requirs a certain number of straps or other approved devices to secure machines (or any cargo)

5. Green Team Landscaping

lol whoops. i really should tie it down also, but i never really see a point to tightening it up to take it off when the blocks are fine. i know its wrong, but oh well. as long as my dad's okay with it i guess im fne with it.

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

how many straps does dot require?

7. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

it all depends on the equipment and the sate, GA for a backhoe requires 5, 1 per wheel (mist be independant from each other) and one on anything that articulates. i dont know about on a mower, but there are several DOT approved device that lock the mower. pro-locker and faststrap are the 2 biggest names.

8. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

i push em to the front of the trailer an just leave it in gear its not going to move.. and i run 1 strap to the first pin hole where the bagger mounts haven't had any problems

9. Green Team Landscaping

we just have tie downs that i use for my dirtbike. never bother to use them though, as i said before. how do i find out the rules? for nh because the dot website said NOTHING

10. JacksonLawns

JacksonLawns LawnSite Member

My walk behind will move around with the brakes on and left in gear. I have seen many other WBs move around too when left in gear with the brakes on.

I put my WB at the front of the trailer and run one ratchet strap against the back of the mower from one side of the trailer to the other side. This works great for me. The straps are cheap very quick and the mower doesn't move at all.