1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to stop mowers from sliding around on the trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Supper Grassy, May 30, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

My mowers slide around a bit...and I really don't care, I have 3 foot mesh walls, parking brakes and nothing is going anywhere. I carry 3 large WB and a 21 on the deck. Plus, I would like to see some rachet straps still hold after a brutal accident.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I used 5/16 carriage bolts all the way through the trailer bed to secure the Fastrap plates. You could flip my trailer upside down and the mower will still be on there. :D Lag bolts can pull out or at the least, come loose, you'll have to check them often. With that said, Fastraps are to me, the best hold down set up for a mower. It just so happens, the plates are the same width as my Grizzly 660 so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone as they say. :D As far as the plates being in the way, I haven't had a problem working around them. The straps can be removed but the plates should stay bolted. Their not really in the way unless your hauling square boxes then they would not stack well where the plates are. Hope that makes sense.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

correction, 3/8 carriage bolts....
  4. MAD87

MAD87 LawnSite Member

I won't drive a mile down the road without strapping my equipment down, even if it's just a push mower!;)

A kid I went to high school went around a curve and let his trailer drop off the pavement. He didn't have his mower strapped down and it dumped it over the side of the trailer. A $10,000 Kubota totalled!:hammerhead:
  5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

i bough fastraps but i have not attached them yet

good idea w/ the carrage bolts

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use rachet tie downs
  7. Blunt

Blunt LawnSite Member

after last winter 07/08 i ordered binders and chains for my 26 hp tractor. and my riding mower. I was using 2" ratchet binders but it takes 6 of them and i still have sliding if everything isn't super tight. A ice covered wooden deck and frost heaves makes securing a load interesting. Two of those pro lockers would be handy. As bad as some of the roads are i would be worried my tractor would bounce up and swing sideways off the trailer and drag with just a front tire hooked. A local Maine company now sells a 1' ratchet binder with a 2500 lb minimum break strength they work well for most lawnmowers.
  8. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

how much did you pay for the chains and binders and how do the binders work?
  9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Slow down? :p