1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to store in the winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Apr 29, 2002.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I'm new and was wondering what is the best way to store a commercial mower in the Winter. I have no room in my garage and it wont fit in my basement. So i was considering putting down some brick in my backyard and just covering it real well with tarps. What do you guys think? Have any Ideas?
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I think that covering your equipment with a tarp is a bad idea. Moisture will undoubtable get under it and create rust. There is also the big issue of security, it would make an easy steal if it were just left outside. I would either find someone you know that has room to store it, or rent a storage facility for your equipment.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

what type of mower? maybe you could make a little garage or shed for it?
  4. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Dont let the snow is Wisconsin fool you, we are still a loooonngg way from winter...:D
  5. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Im running a 36' Scag belt Drive. I know winter is a long ways away yet i was just trying to plan ahead. Cause if I have to build a shed I want to have time.
    Thanx Jhawk71
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

If you do need to leave it outside do not tarp it tight. Instead what we have done for plows and spreaders is to build a framework and cover it with a tarp. This lets air circulate and prevents condensation and rust to a point.
  7. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

If you cant store it in a garage....i would spend the 20-30 to rent a storage room.
  8. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if the garage is not an option and never will be, I'd have to say build a shed. That way you always have the storage every year. You could also put all your other LC gear and equip in there. Build some benches, some shelves and you got yourself a nice little shop to work out of for years to come.
  9. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Thanx guys, if anyone else has any ideas go ahead and tell me