How to string an Echo trimmer so it doesn't get stuck.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by noone, May 4, 2012.

1. noone

noone LawnSite Member

This string trimmer head has been kind of frustrating for me. It's this one, the "Pro-Torque Trimmer Attachment" http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Pro-Attachment-Series/99944200545 I guess i'm not 'pro' enough to use this.

It's really only fed correctly when it was on the first factory spool of string. I have never been able to string it correctly since. I take a 20ft piece of string, pull it through the hole so it's halved, then wind it in the direction of the arrows, trying to keep the two parts as separated as possible. No matter what happens, the thing gets stuck inside at some point multiple times throughout the spool. Sometimes it feeds, sometimes it doesn't. Pretty frustrated. I did notice that the Echo factory used two strings, rather than one to string it. I don't know if that matters.

I spent a lot of money on my PAS-266 and head attachments.

Thanks for any advice you can offer on this seemingly trivial matter.

2. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same heads and have never had any trouble with them. Pull through, wind in pointed directions and thats it. Maybe try using less string?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. noone

noone LawnSite Member

Do you try to keep the two sides separated with your thumb? Maybe me trying to do this is throwing mine off and I should just not worry about keeping it separated and just wind it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Switch to the Echo U-turn heads (maybe called rapid load now). And you'll never have a problem.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes those star shaped trimmer lines will weld themselves together in there. I'm not a proponent of square line (fungo bat for shooting/launching debris, imho), but it or round line may provide a some better luck.

6. noone

noone LawnSite Member

I think I am using that star shaped Echo branded line which I **assumed** would be perfect....
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't cross the strings, as said keep them separate with your thumb as you wrap it. They should make it with a divider in it.

8. noone

noone LawnSite Member

It's hard if not impossible to keep the two sides of the string separate while winding it, because the loophole pushes the string into the center. Oh well. Maybe I'll get better at it the more I practice. I just figured stepping up to this "pro" unit would be nicer than the Homelite I used to have. Guess not.

Sigh.....

9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

There is other types of designs that are more idiot proof that will fit your echo trimmer also. I seen a pretty slick shinindawa one once. Echo makes several models of trimmer head also I believe. Good luck.

10. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Get a speedfeed head.

I just put one on my kawasaki trimmer yesterday. It's awesome!