1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to stripe a lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Houstonarvizu, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Houstonarvizu

Houstonarvizu LawnSite Member

I have seen people make the stripe disign into their lawn and i was wondering how it was done

[​IMG]

2. ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976 LawnSite Member

Make a stripe, turn around and come back along the same line. Grass gets pushed over and the light reflecting off the grass causes the different look.

3. anotherturfgeek

anotherturfgeek LawnSite Member

buy a scag 1st!

4. Houstonarvizu

scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big, the mower just does it itself? or is it somthing certain, also, it is mulching???

5. Houstonarvizu

Disregard: "scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big, the mower just does it itself? or is it somthing certain, also, it is mulching??? "

okay, common since, it comes out looking good, do many people favor this over their lawn without the clippings on top, being as in mulched??

scags are a pretty penny, aint got that much into this buisness yet, but hopefully one day i make it big.

6. anotherturfgeek

mine does it on its own the striping.(Mow one way/turn around and come back the other direction) As for the mulch question, I have never bagged any clippings. This is not a good practice. Each time you bag, your taking the nutrients out of the lawn. If the species of grass is mowed to the correct height regularly (weekly) bagging is not required.
    If you are using a smaller mower (residential unit) most of those, you may have to lift up the rock gaurd slightly (level)to get it to disperse the clippings a little more. if it is slanted downward, your clippings will pile up in a row. Don't remove the rock guard, just level it.

7. anotherturfgeek

8. anotherturfgeek

Yes, people think the stripes are cool! it is a good thing!

9. Houstonarvizu

thank you guys, this will help alot when i start back up in this upcoming season

10. ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976 LawnSite Member

The mower will do this to an extent. Most equipment manufacturers make striping kits for the back of the deck. If you are short on coin and wanna exercise your brain a little, all you need to do is build something to hand off the back of the deck to drag over the lawn. My exmark was a dealer demo so it came with the roller installed. I've seen short sections of chain, a heavy rubber skirt with a piece of angle iron at the end for weight and several other ghetto engineered idea....all of them worked as well as my factory kit....makes me glad I didn't shell out extra for it.
    As far as clippings go, if the customer wants them off the lawn, take them off the lawn. Leaving them might cut down one or two fert applications a year depending on the region of the country and soil type. Fert is only a short term quick fix. It doesn't build up good soil structure. I'm not one of those preaching "green freaks" with a hemp necklace and smell like pot but do some research. Get them to aerate spring and fall and long term you will have a happy customer. Leave the clipping but if they are heavy mow once making stripes and then make a second pass over the lawn with the deck height raised slightly and makes striped in a perpendicular pattern. Also change the direction of your stripes every week to get a cleaner cut and prevent ruts and layover.